comments about your hair by the general public

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
emmalooxx

Re: comments about your hair by the general public

Post by emmalooxx » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:10 am

Opiate wrote:
poxabomination wrote:
And the orange foundation that stops at the chin and the eyebrows plucked to be shaped like brackets (like this [ ). Yet somehow these girls have the right to make fun of alternative chicks and society backs them up! I would never in a million years think of going up to one of them and telling them they sucked at hair and makeup. I feel kinda bad even talking about it here!
I come from an area where I am literally THE only alt person in town... in any form. Not even scene or indie kids live here D:
Either stopping at the chin or overly spray-tanned so they look like a terracotta warrior. That mixed with dead, limp bleached blonde hair. Ugh.
I almost feel like asking them if they've looked in the mirror before they pass judgement on someone else.. But then it would result in arguments and b*tch-slaps, and really, I'm not into that :P

Oh that sucks!! it's sort of the same here.. I work in an area of the city that's full of business types, and I look the exact opposite. It's fun though, I smile and dsay hi to people if they're staring. They get awkward :P

AHHAHAHA yesss god the foundation that stops at the chin- AWFUL, and they have the nerve to stand there saying things to me.. i jsut try and ignore it nowerdays (don't want to lower myself to their level) i just find it so funny
<3 "I don't consider myself to be a pessimist, I see a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain...And yet I feel soaked to the skin. " - Leonard Cohen

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:28 pm

Rhaeniel wrote:Yeah, that 'too much of a baby to dye your hair' thing is why I feel so crappy now that I can't bleach my hair properly any more :( I hate that I have to have brown hair again and can only introduce colour by wearing my brown to purple or brown to green trans. I loved having purple hair, but I can't risk my health for it! It annoys me to know that people will look at me and assume I'm not brave enough to bleach my hair and dye it bright colours!
Ugh I feel you, I feel weird having black and red, red can almost be considered a 'normal' color :/ Even though its neon firetruck red, its still not an unnatural color. I should take a picture of my hair though... I can't bleach the long parts anymore cause they dread together as I sleep as it is :x It looks like I intentionally made my hair messy and wavy though, so I guess its ok :lol:

And as to the snake charmer thing, totally OT but... I'd love to be a snake charmer :lol: Where I used to work had a bunch of nasty crazy cobras I was going to learn how to handle, but alas, I don't work there any more :roll: They had a king cobra that was actually a snuggle bug, which is bizarre. But if anyone said that to me I'd be like "YEAH THANKS I LOVE SNAKES! :D"
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

FaerieGirl

Post by FaerieGirl » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:59 pm

It's decided then. I am most definitely misanthropic.
Taking over the world, one cupcake at a time. http://www.facebook.com/pages/CausticCu ... 7885476928
CURRENTLY TAKING ORDERS

emmalooxx

Post by emmalooxx » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:13 pm

hahaha yes i should've said that! i just was like :O how random!
<3 "I don't consider myself to be a pessimist, I see a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain...And yet I feel soaked to the skin. " - Leonard Cohen

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:19 pm

emmalooxx wrote:hahaha yes i should've said that! i just was like :O how random!
Yeah thats such a bizarre insult that it wouldn't even insult me. It's like they thought it would be sooo funny and then when they said it out loud it just.... wasn't. It happens to me all the time :? I guess it goes along the same lines as when someones like "HAHA look at you, you look like a fucking faerie or something" and I'm always like "YES I LOVE FAERIES!!!!! :D" They think it's an insult but I love it, faeries are beautiful!

emmalooxx

Post by emmalooxx » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:14 am

i totally agree :) and yeah i think in their dimwitted heads they think it's a hilarious comment but to me it's just :| haha no reaction and then they get either... really embarressed and their friends end up taking the piss out of them or they all just crack up. o well i guess it brightens their silly little lives haha. no-ones ever going to change me so i don't know why they even bother ^-^

patricia*star

Post by patricia*star » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:47 pm

Sometimes i feel like 'ah well, if they are picking on me then atleast they are leaving some other poor bugger alone', kind of makes you feel differently about it when you think like that :D
The show must go on. Inside my heart is breaking, my makeup may be flaking but my smile still stays on.

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:02 pm

patricia*star wrote:Sometimes i feel like 'ah well, if they are picking on me then atleast they are leaving some other poor bugger alone', kind of makes you feel differently about it when you think like that :D
yeah definitely, I think about that all the time. I know I can handle it now, I remember my 14 year old self being so hurt by it and I'm glad if I can be the focus of their harassment and not someone else with a weaker self-esteem like I used to have :lol:

Opiate

Post by Opiate » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:21 pm

I got told the other day by the owner of the cafe next door that my dreads prettymuch sum up my persona, and that in the 9 months I've been in every morning for a coffee, he's never seen me so comfortable with myself :)
That made me really happy ^__^
JessFACE
prying.open.my.third.eye
facebook.com/OpiateDreads-Custom Dreads and Cyberlox<3

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:09 am

Opiate wrote:I got told the other day by the owner of the cafe next door that my dreads prettymuch sum up my persona, and that in the 9 months I've been in every morning for a coffee, he's never seen me so comfortable with myself :)
Aww, that is soooo sweet! :i2:

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:12 am

Opiate wrote:I got told the other day by the owner of the cafe next door that my dreads prettymuch sum up my persona, and that in the 9 months I've been in every morning for a coffee, he's never seen me so comfortable with myself :)

Aw, awesome!! Yay for dreaddies :D
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:49 pm

Can't remember if I've mentioned this before or not..
When I had my big purple 80s hawk for a day, I went into one of the alt clothing shops in town and as I walked past this shaved-headed, tattoed bloke, he saw me and said 'fuckin hell' in surprise... then said 'I love your hair' as I turned to look at him.
Ah, that made me laugh. :3
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:57 pm

hahahahha awesome ^^

It made me kinda sad this one time, these two middle-aged guys in suits approached my boyfriend and I and they were like "oh wow your hair is sick guys" and we were like whaaa? And they started going on and on about how they used to have mohawks and go to punk shows all the time and yadda yadda ya... and it just made me incredibly depressed. I hope I never have to get that boring for a job :/ They looked just like any old boring-ass businessmen and they were getting all nostalgic about how they had a life once. 0___0 literally. They made it seem as if they weren't as happy now as they were then, and I was like "THEN WHATS THE POINT?!"

Yordan

Post by Yordan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:40 pm

People are quite friendly here in colchester, well at least most people, I don't really get insults thrown at me, the most comments I get are frmo black girls telling me they like my hair, complete strangers! But it makes me feel good because it's like my dreads have made a good impression and made someone want to speak to me opposed to run away/laugh.
I find I get a lot more stares in london, but then I'm from east london so generally the weirdest hair you find there is the local crazy/drunk, or the old ladies with a purple tint :D
It's funny how kids really don't care, when I had bright green hair I had children staring at me non stop 'mummy that girl has green hair' 'look at her hair' it is a little embarassing but kids under the age of 10 don't really know that much better and they do often embarrass their parents when they say it.
It does make me angry hearing about how people are attacked and insulted based on how they look when the people attacking them look like they need a good wash and a mirror. It's downright stupid.
I used to get called Wednesday at school because I had long dark hair and people thought it was an insult, she was an amazing character! I'd rather be called Wednesday Adams than some pop singer.
Why should I wake when I'm half past dead?

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:48 pm

Yordan wrote:I used to get called Wednesday at school because I had long dark hair and people thought it was an insult, she was an amazing character! I'd rather be called Wednesday Adams than some pop singer.
Agreed! Unfortunately I'm very pale with dark eyes and brows, and have a long kind of angled face, so I used to get called Michael Jackson all the time :C Not the popular kid I'll tellya that. Self esteem = nonexsistant til I graduated highschool. D:

Yordan

Post by Yordan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:52 pm

Ah that sucks. I used to get called michael jackson, only when people know about my skin condition, I have vitiligo.
Also being irish doesn't help, I would have been pale even without vitiligo lol

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:55 pm

I used to get the Wednesday thing too, didn't bother me. But name calling doesn't bother me. Life is too short to let nobodies get to you.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Yordan

Post by Yordan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:57 pm

That is very true.
Considering where I work, I don't get many offensive comments, I work behind the bar of a gentlemens club, when I had dreads in people were complimentary. But then they are mostly drunk lol

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:59 pm

Yordan wrote:That is very true.
Considering where I work, I don't get many offensive comments, I work behind the bar of a gentlemens club, when I had dreads in people were complimentary. But then they are mostly drunk lol
:lol: Drunk people are always so excited and amused by my hair and makeup I can't help but laugh.

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:07 pm

Its like.. some people could have escaped torture and death during WWII had they just said "no, I'm not jewish." But they stood up for what they believed in and were proud of it, even though they knew they would be facing incredible cruelty.
Hmm. You know that there are very clear physical characteristics that typify a LOT of Jewish people, right? And that those characteristics were how the Nazi regime set them apart. You know the whole Aryan ideal had more to do with what people looked like and how they culturally behaved, surely? Hence the whole blonde, blue-eyed nonsense.

I am of Jewish descent and have had it spotted and targetted in the street before now, as well as online. I do see what you are striving at here but, I have to say I think you are wrong. Just my informed opinion.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:12 pm

woolhairhabit wrote:
Its like.. some people could have escaped torture and death during WWII had they just said "no, I'm not jewish." But they stood up for what they believed in and were proud of it, even though they knew they would be facing incredible cruelty.
Hmm. You know that there are very clear physical characteristics that typify a LOT of Jewish people, right? And that those characteristics were how the Nazi regime set them apart. You know the whole Aryan ideal had more to do with what people looked like and how they culturally behaved, surely? Hence the whole blonde, blue-eyed nonsense.

I am of Jewish descent and have had it spotted and targetted in the street before now, as well as online. I do see what you are striving at here but, I have to say I think you are wrong. Just my informed opinion.
Yeah, I agree with that, I guess it would apply to those whose appearance could pass as 'Aryan', I remember reading of some people who could have passed as Aryan and non-Jewish but didn't and chose to stand by their religion, but they're probably in the minority. I guess thats more what I was angling towards. Like I said, I hope I didn't offend anyone, its a touchy subject, its just one of those things I think about sometimes, yanno? Not necesarrily historically accurate :)

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:31 pm

poxabomination wrote:Yeah, I agree with that, I guess it would apply to those whose appearance could pass as 'Aryan', I remember reading of some people who could have passed as Aryan and non-Jewish but didn't and chose to stand by their religion, but they're probably in the minority. I guess thats more what I was angling towards. Like I said, I hope I didn't offend anyone, its a touchy subject, its just one of those things I think about sometimes, yanno? Not necesarrily historically accurate
Yeah. Maybe stay off the touchy subjects you don't have accurate information on doll, that's a sure way not to offend. As I said, I could see the point you were making but you could just as easily have said that folk have the right to choose to wear skinny jeans and UGG boots to match their orange skin without being singled out by folk who don't personally like that look.

Gracey xx

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:35 pm

I apologize D: You're right, thank you for the advice :) I will keep my rambling nonsensical musings to myself >.<

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:39 pm

Hey you don't need to apologise to me, I'm just offering my take on it the same as other folk. Most agreed with you doll.

I have a hard time when people get upset about how folk react to them and their image choices while, at the same time, openly berate others for how they choose to look.

I'm old. And opinionated. Spades are called spades where I come from.

Gracey xx

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:46 pm

woolhairhabit wrote:Hey you don't need to apologise to me, I'm just offering my take on it the same as other folk. Most agreed with you doll.

I have a hard time when people get upset about how folk react to them and their image choices while, at the same time, openly berate others for how they choose to look.

I'm old. And opinionated. Spades are called spades where I come from.
You're not old! And your opinions keep 'talk-before-you-think' people like me out of trouble :lol: And I agree with the making fun of others thing, I just meant to say that 'hey, I think your outfits are ridiculous, but I don't make fun of you for it, its your choice, so why should you make fun of me?' I'm always polite to these people and would never ever dream of insulting them, and I know I have been making fun of them on here, but I didn't mean for it to be in a malicious way, I just know a lot of people on here would know what I'm talking about and it would be a relatively safe place to 'let go' so-to-speak and express it. The whole double-standard thing blows my mind!

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”