Different styles of undercut - dreads and mohawks?

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Fricklesnarp

Different styles of undercut - dreads and mohawks?

Post by Fricklesnarp » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:15 pm

Hi all - I'm growing out my undercut at the moment but was thinking of shaving it back in with a different style, possibly a mohawk style so I still have hair on the back of my head narrowing down to a point, kind of in the shape of a triangle, if that makes sense. Not sure how it would work with dread installation though, and tying it up etc, or whether it would look strange? If anyone has any pics of dread installations into a mohawk, it would he helpful :)

coma_dream

Re: Different styles of undercut - dreads and mohawks?

Post by coma_dream » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:25 pm

I've had a kind of half hawk for a while,
and install dreads as usual, and have tied them up into a hawk before.
I have a couple of photos, not sure if this helps at all. :)

Image Image

xx

iamdolleyes

Post by iamdolleyes » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:17 am

sure..i had a normal undercut..then grew it into a bit of a point..then grew it into a pointed hawk...looks and worked fine with dreads

this is what it was at it's largest:

and some with dreads..

this is from when it was just more of a pointed undercut..

sorry i don't have more pics...computer died and i'm waiting on data recovery, so i only have what's in photobucket :shock: :x

hope it helps. i tended towards thicker dreads, but you get the idea..works fine and ends up looking a bit thicker when down, so your scalp doesn't poke through unless you want it to

i do remember though getting used to it was a bit different, as the bottom of the point dreads would pull more, and tug a bit (especially when the hair was really short..they would sometimes fall out) but that is part of getting used to hair on the back of your neck again..
i like my coffee black
just like my metal

Fricklesnarp

Post by Fricklesnarp » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:40 am

Thanks guys, this is really helpful :)
Just trying to figure out how I would cut my hair now with that style of mohawk, because I was thinking of going for one of those mini fringes as well as some ickle girl 'burns' - will probably have to draw a pic for the hairdresser lol - any more pics of dreads with mohawks are welcome if anyone has some :)

LifeDeathRebirth

Post by LifeDeathRebirth » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:48 pm

iamdolleyes wrote:sure..i had a normal undercut..then grew it into a bit of a point..then grew it into a pointed hawk...looks and worked fine with dreads

This is one sexy hair cut. I love the length of it.
born in the dust and cradled in the dark

AmberLilith

Post by AmberLilith » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:52 pm

I have an undercut, up to my ears. I'm intending to take it a bit higher at the sides, above my ears, then to a point at the back -will post pics when i do!
Indigo Thunder hair falls
Custom and pre-made wool yarn falls

LiveJournal:
http://indigo-thunder.livejournal.com/

now on FaceBook too:
http://www.facebook.com/indigothunder

iamdolleyes

Post by iamdolleyes » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:52 am

Fricklesnarp wrote:Thanks guys, this is really helpful :)
Just trying to figure out how I would cut my hair now with that style of mohawk, because I was thinking of going for one of those mini fringes as well as some ickle girl 'burns' - will probably have to draw a pic for the hairdresser lol - any more pics of dreads with mohawks are welcome if anyone has some :)
my hair was alternately a-line and regular bob type cut in that style..i have thick hair, so you couldn't tell it was shaved when it was all worn down really. don't see why a fringe wouldn't work, and i had little whispy girly burns too usually, it all worked

post pics when you get it all sorted out :D
i like my coffee black
just like my metal

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:57 am

I had an undercut up to my ears before shaving the sides so it's a rectangle rather than the triangle that you're going for but hope it helps anyway. In that picture there are 50 de's (i still have no idea how she got that many in there) in a ponytail
The bad guys always have the best tailors..."

My Blog
My Photography

°«Belle»°

Post by °«Belle»° » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:59 pm

My friend has an undercut upto her temples that comes to a point, slightly lower down, at the back. It looks really nice and works well with or without dreads. I tried to find some photos but don't have any. Sometimes she gels it all forward in a messy style and it looks great. I've never been able to pull that one off! Show us pictures if you go under the scissors :)
iamdolleyes wrote: this is what it was at it's largest:
MY WORD! this is gorgeous.. I've considered doing this to my hair. Have you got any photos of what it looks like down.. unstyled and slightly more work friendly?
...stunning :P
'Because I'm way more HARDCORE!'
Mummy to Kodi Michelle Autumn and Erin Rose

DeadGirl SUPERSTAR

Post by DeadGirl SUPERSTAR » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:31 pm

iamdolleyes wrote:sure..i had a normal undercut..then grew it into a bit of a point..then grew it into a pointed hawk...looks and worked fine with dreads

You make me want to get a hawk. XD

iamdolleyes

Post by iamdolleyes » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:20 pm

haha aw, well my hair isn't like that anymore..it's all past my shoulders and grown out, but i do miss it

i do happen to have a pic of it down though

mind the bad cut and the needing to brush it (lol),i fixed it up a bit more after the picture so it wasn't so severe an a line

it looks shorter in the hawk pic because i would kind of do this twisty roll thing with the longest bit in the front, kind of like a pompadour? i don't know what to call it..but it was nifty
i like my coffee black
just like my metal

[Tank]

Post by [Tank] » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:45 am

iamdolleyes wrote:Image
That photo is one of my absolute favourite hair photos ever, it's one of the key things that inspires me my decision to shave in a mohawk the second I leave school is the way forward.
To begin with, a dog is not mad. you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I am mad.

iamdolleyes

Post by iamdolleyes » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:29 am

:oops:

aww, that's sweet. i'm glad my 'do inspires
i like my coffee black
just like my metal

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”