Installation and care tips and advice

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
LittlePinkFaery

Installation and care tips and advice

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:03 pm

As one person has asked for tips on how long to leave braids or dreads in- and this is a common question- I thought i would create a little area for random tips regarding installation that you can pass on, be it braids, wraps, dreads, synth, loose, plastic, wool...perhaps washing techniques too...

Something that doesn't warrant a tutorial- just a random piece of advice to pass on.

IKickShins

Re: Installation and care tips and advice

Post by IKickShins » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:57 pm

If you leave your extensions in long enough that your hair starts to dread up at the roots, remove each section and comb them out one by one instead of trying to brush out the whole mess in the end. Your scalp will thank you.

Section your hair off in a brick pattern so that the hair hangs down and covers the bare spots in between the extensions.

If you see a lot of loose hairs in your sections with little white dots on the end, your extensions are either too tight, too heavy, or both and are pulling your hair out. If that happens, you should remove the extensions.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:44 am

ikickshins wrote:If you leave your extensions in long enough that your hair starts to dread up at the roots, remove each section and comb them out one by one instead of trying to brush out the whole mess in the end. Your scalp will thank you.
I sometimes do this if it's not too knotty, if they've only been in for a week and if I'm keeping the dreads in and don't want to take them all out and re-install - but if it's so bad that it's starting to dread and you're taking them all out anyway, then I think it's kinder to your hair to take them all out without brushing at all, and then shower - use plenty of conditioner to loosen the knots, leave it in for a few minutes and then run your fingers through the tangles while you rinse the conditioner out. If you comb it through then you're more likely to break the hair off near the root where it's starting to dread.

I really depends on how long you leave them in before re-installing. My brother leaves his in for far too long, so I NEVER comb his hair (it's thinning anyway and comes out in clumps when I take out the dreads!) I always just get him to use loads of conditioner and tell him to be gentle with it - he doesn't have much hair left, bless him, he needs to retain as much of it as possible! :roll:

The other problem I find with brushing as you go is that you end up with poofy, curly hair that tries to get in the way when you're taking the elastic bands off the other dreads. If you don't comb it, then it doesn't get in the way quite as much. but I certainly wouldn't advise combing all together when dry - as you said, it's not kind to your scalp, or your hair.

As for how long to leave them in - I only ever leave mine in for 3 weeks at the most.. but it does depend on your hair and how neat you like them to be. I like mine relatively neat (not perfect, but not too scruffy either), so I tend to re-tighten the loose ones once a week and then re-install by the third week. My brother, however, leaves his in for months at a time (although I think this is more to do with the fact that he can't afford to get the train up to my house very often to have them re-done!) and bythe time I re-do them ,tehy're looking really shabby and the hair isn't in the best condition.
I think the less time you leave them in for, the better it is for your hair (depending on your hair type) but if you want them to look neat and tidy, then you need to keep re-tightening them as soon as they start to loosen.

Errr.. can't think of anything else just now.
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

TwiggyDEVOUR

Post by TwiggyDEVOUR » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:09 pm

Rubber bands:
One word- Claire's Accessories! They sell tiny strong rubber bands in all shades and colours, which are just perfect for dreads and braids. These babies will hold strong to weeks!

Shampoo:
This one is for those dread wearers who want something to sort out that dreaded musky hair smell that you can get from time to time :s
-Boots *own range* teatree and mint shampoo. Does the job well even when diluted.

Wefts:
I wouldnt advice people to bond synthetic wefts onto your own hair. If you want a full head of weft that will last, buy human hair. Synthetic tangles an awful lot and the tips become frizzy. Only use synthetic wefts as clip-in extensions that you can remove before going to bed.

Mildew:
Always dry wet dreads near a heater or a warm area of the house. Ideally hang the dreads separately so they all dry equally. If the dreads stay damp longer than 9-12hrs they will be at risk of developing mildew, which is a type of mold/fungi that causes a very unpleasant musky scent to derive from the dreads :s
Only way to be rid of mildrew is to pour boiling water over the dreads. This kills off the mold that developed.

LifeDeathRebirth

Post by LifeDeathRebirth » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:32 pm

When I remove braids, I spray my hair with conditioner as I comb the sections out. This makes it easier to get tangles out and I don't lose as much hair. For me, doing it this way is much better than washing my hair before combing.
born in the dust and cradled in the dark

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:17 am

LifeDeathRebirth wrote:When I remove braids, I spray my hair with conditioner as I comb the sections out. This makes it easier to get tangles out and I don't lose as much hair. For me, doing it this way is much better than washing my hair before combing.
Hey, that's a good idea :)
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... 92&t=14004 <Midlands Summer Meet 2011, photos now up.

Miss Sprinkles

Post by Miss Sprinkles » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:50 pm

LifeDeathRebirth wrote:When I remove braids, I spray my hair with conditioner as I comb the sections out. This makes it easier to get tangles out and I don't lose as much hair. For me, doing it this way is much better than washing my hair before combing.

I also do something similar and use hair serum or intensive conditioner to comb my dreads out. It makes it so much easier! Works a treat!
I find peppermint or tea tree foot spray works a treat for a cheap spray for your hair to make it smell lovely between washes. Test before you buy though as some brands can be sticky when dry, Body Shop is lush AND non-sticky. Febreeze is also a fave of mine!

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:02 pm

when i took my dreads out i didn't brush/comb it cause it seemed knotty so i just used loads of conditioner! is that oki to do that? (1st time i've had dreads installed) but when i was rinsing some of my hair came out in small clumps about two :( then when i brushed it a lil bit more did :/ is that normal or was something wrong?
the dreads were only left in for 5 days (had work dam) lol
Miss Panda - Paint The World In Neon Colours

The Black and White Army = Panda "Salute me Solider"

sammu

Post by sammu » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:38 am

Miss_Panda wrote:when i took my dreads out i didn't brush/comb it cause it seemed knotty so i just used loads of conditioner! is that oki to do that? (1st time i've had dreads installed) but when i was rinsing some of my hair came out in small clumps about two :( then when i brushed it a lil bit more did :/ is that normal or was something wrong?
Don't worry, that's natural. You shed hundreds of hairs every day and because your hair is braided against the dread, it's got nowhere to escape to. That's why you find loads when you take the dreads out. ^_^

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:09 pm

Miss_Panda wrote:when i took my dreads out i didn't brush/comb it cause it seemed knotty so i just used loads of conditioner! is that oki to do that? (1st time i've had dreads installed) but when i was rinsing some of my hair came out in small clumps about two :( then when i brushed it a lil bit more did :/ is that normal or was something wrong?

Yeah, my hair falls out in little clumps when I condition it after taking out dreads.
IMO, I find it's better for my hair and my scalp if I don't scrape a brush through my hair as soon as I take out the dreads.. I always use plenty of conditioner and just run my fingers through gently to tease the tangles out. That way, it's only the dead hairs coming out rather than broken tangly bits getting ripped out by a hair brush!

I actually rarely brush my hair at all, except my fringe when I blow-dry it.. and every hairdresser I've ever been to has always commented on the good quality of my hair - no split ends, no frazzled bits.. just clean, healthy hair :)

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:55 pm

CirqueMachine wrote:
Don't worry, that's natural. You shed hundreds of hairs every day and because your hair is braided against the dread, it's got nowhere to escape to. That's why you find loads when you take the dreads out. ^_^
ah thats good to hear then
thankyou ^^
Rhaeniel wrote:

Yeah, my hair falls out in little clumps when I condition it after taking out dreads.
IMO, I find it's better for my hair and my scalp if I don't scrape a brush through my hair as soon as I take out the dreads.. I always use plenty of conditioner and just run my fingers through gently to tease the tangles out. That way, it's only the dead hairs coming out rather than broken tangly bits getting ripped out by a hair brush!

I actually rarely brush my hair at all, except my fringe when I blow-dry it.. and every hairdresser I've ever been to has always commented on the good quality of my hair - no split ends, no frazzled bits.. just clean, healthy hair :)
lol thats what i do just blow dry my fringe and the hair dressers can't understand how i keep it in good condition cause my hair is bleached (my mum does it for me) everyone thinks my mum a hair dresser now :lol: cause theres no yellow tones in my hair at all XD
let it dry naturally and just tie my hair up as im growing it when it gets past my shoulders it goes straight anyway ^^ i only ever use straighters if im going somewere nice hehe ^^

thanks for the replys ^^

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:14 pm

another question i had was, when you dreads installed i've realised i can only wear certain clothes :/ like shirts cause my t-shirts don't seem like they would go over my dreads (i don't want to stretch the head hole and wreck the t-shirt) :(
does any one else have this problem?

Rhaeniel

Post by Rhaeniel » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:16 pm

Miss_Panda wrote:another question i had was, when you dreads installed i've realised i can only wear certain clothes :/ like shirts cause my t-shirts don't seem like they would go over my dreads (i don't want to stretch the head hole and wreck the t-shirt) :(
does any one else have this problem?
I have done in the past. I used to wear really big colinette falls in huge bunches and they got right in the way when I wore my Mighty Boosh t-shirt - but I don't have many t-shirts like that cos I mostly wear low-cut or scoop-neck tops, which aren't a problem.

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:34 pm

lol yea i've just ordered some new clothes so i won't have that problem -_-
seen some really nice shirts to XD
i have seen in some peoples show offs there wearing t-shirts, dunno how they do it :lol:

cyberwench

Post by cyberwench » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:40 pm

Miss_Panda wrote:lol yea i've just ordered some new clothes so i won't have that problem -_-
i have seen in some peoples show offs there wearing t-shirts, dunno how they do it :lol:
I just stretch them over my head, but I don't tend to wear big poofy dreads anyway.

I remember when I first had dreads installed, I hadn't thought about how I'd get my t-shirt off afterwards! That was entertaining :lol:

candyspooky

Post by candyspooky » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:23 am

cyberwench wrote:
Miss_Panda wrote:lol yea i've just ordered some new clothes so i won't have that problem -_-
I just stretch them over my head, but I don't tend to wear big poofy dreads anyway.

I remember when I first had dreads installed, I hadn't thought about how I'd get my t-shirt off afterwards! That was entertaining :lol:
Lol! With my first pair of dreads, I would pull my hair through the t-shirt first. So it would look like I had a t-shirt for a face with dreads sticking out of it. Then I'd slip it over the rest of my head.
It was quite awkward.

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:45 pm

i was atcually thinking of doin that at one point lol XD
my dreads are always big and poofy :D

DeadGirl SUPERSTAR

Post by DeadGirl SUPERSTAR » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:11 pm

candyspooky wrote:
Lol! With my first pair of dreads, I would pull my hair through the t-shirt first. So it would look like I had a t-shirt for a face with dreads sticking out of it. Then I'd slip it over the rest of my head.
It was quite awkward.
LOL! I JUST had this problem this morning. XD It always pulls on my dreads and makes them loose. Thanks for this! :D

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:48 pm

cyberwench wrote:

hehehee. i did this recently too - i had a turtle-neck/polo-neck top on.......that was difficult to remove!
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Abbychan

Post by Abbychan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:00 pm

Not much to contribute, but I learned from my first set on installs that those little rubberbands they give you when you have braces work really well. They only need to be wrapped around twice, and are almost see through. I wouldn't suggest them for black, because then you can actually see it.

(this only works with DEs) Also, if you're getting tired of seeing your part where all the dreads start to fall and it seems like you have a big dreadless patch on you head, take one of the DEs that's right up against your part, just grab one end of the DE and flip it over you head so it covers the scalp. Do this with a few dreads and you're set! (hope that makes sense, it's hard for me to explain things. xD

Sophrodisiac

Post by Sophrodisiac » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:32 pm

Aaah i once had the whole dreading at the root issue. Painful much.

I tend to take them out after a couple of weeks now, but as i can put them in myself it doesn't matter as i can reinstall.

The only helpful thing i can think of at the moment would be covering them up while sleeping. I forget to sometimes and i pay for it in that loose strands of my hair poke out. :x
I have a big comfy headband though which helps loads. Obviously it's not completely avoidable.
I like bubbles.. :)
Dread it and Rave
SOPHI BUBBLE =)

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:39 am

blanket braid!!! once you learn how to do this - it's wonderful! i get very few pokies with a blanket isntall compared with normal braid & it looks super neat. shifuku made an easy to follow you tube vid.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Miss_Panda

Post by Miss_Panda » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:15 pm

is there away to prevent your hair from going awful at the ends when you take installed dreads out? my hair always seem to feel brittle and snap of at the ends after i've had dreads in for about 2 weeks :(

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:48 pm

Miss_Panda wrote:is there away to prevent your hair from going awful at the ends when you take installed dreads out? my hair always seem to feel brittle and snap of at the ends after i've had dreads in for about 2 weeks :(
This is usually caused by the rubber bands, a good way of ensuring his dosnt keep occuring is to make sure you get hair hair trimmed every 6 weeks and ensure you give your tips a good condition when you take the dreads out!!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:14 am

making sure your sections are neat when installing is super important! messy installs are horribly uncomfortable.

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”