Installation and care tips and advice

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
DangerBunnie

Re: Installation and care tips and advice

Post by DangerBunnie » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:54 am

Wow, a lot of great tips!

I was wondering how long to keep my braids in and how to treat the roots as they are growing out, but it's been almost a month and I'm about to pull them out, give my hair a rest, and try a different look.

Does anyone have advice on how to keep the ends of my natural hair from poking out of the braids? I considered trying decorative bits of wrap at the junction.

DaisyChains

Post by DaisyChains » Tue May 24, 2011 8:28 pm

when i had my 1st few sets of dreads i had a lady in manchester installing them for me and she used cotton in the plait as well then wrapped it round at the bottom before fininshing with an elastic band, my dreads were neat for a good 3 weeks after and hardly any sticky out bits at the bottom of the plait, anyone else use this method?

DaisyChains

Post by DaisyChains » Tue May 24, 2011 8:30 pm

DangerBunnie wrote:Wow, a lot of great tips!

I was wondering how long to keep my braids in and how to treat the roots as they are growing out, but it's been almost a month and I'm about to pull them out, give my hair a rest, and try a different look.

Does anyone have advice on how to keep the ends of my natural hair from poking out of the braids? I considered trying decorative bits of wrap at the junction.
see my above comment :) worked for me! i think she used some kinda wax on the ends too, i tend to use my husbands hair wax these days to keep ends neat whlile installing lol x

tokyovogue

Post by tokyovogue » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:44 pm

Does anyone have any diagrams for the parting when installing dreads? My hair has a side parting which i guess i will need to change to a middle when i install my dreads?

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:34 am

tokyovogue wrote:Does anyone have any diagrams for the parting when installing dreads? My hair has a side parting which i guess i will need to change to a middle when i install my dreads?
There is no need to change your parting, just go off yourusual one. It's personal taste, but I prefer the way an install looks when the parting is not in the centre.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

tokyovogue

Post by tokyovogue » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:49 pm

How would that work with triangle/ brick pattern? I have never installed before but hopefully i'll have enough to do soon but it all sounds so difficult! :(

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”