... I think i'm done!

Forum rules
*If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
MissLove

... I think i'm done!

Post by MissLove » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:45 pm

I've been making fake hair since i was about 12 years old, i'm now 24 and whereas i still love hair and fake hair, i think i've 'outgrown' dreads.. I can't seem to find a way to make them fit with my current style, not synthetic ones anyway, and i just don't have time to make them anymore :(

I still love looking at other peoples hair though and usually sport human extensions.. Have you guys found your extensions style has changed/matured over the years?

I'm even debating selling my 'hair wardrobe' to make space for clothes - last count there was about 70 packs of KK, 20 odd packs half used, rexlace, plastikhaar, crin.. god. i dont think i can even contemplate sorting it all out!!

ShadowThrone

Re: ... I think i'm done!

Post by ShadowThrone » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:57 pm

This has happened to me, and a fair few others on the board. I used to ALWAYS be in dreads, all year round, would probably only have a couple of weeks out of the year dreadless, when it wasn't dreads it was loose brightly coloured extensions and a couple of plastic installs too. In the last 4 years I have grown out my undercut totally and wear dreads very rarely, I can't even explain why, I just feel a bit silly in them now :lol: I do still wear human or synth clip ins frequently. I had my hair every colour under the sun as well, mainly pink for years, but I've stayed platinum blonde these last few years.

I would still consider buying dreads again, if I find the right kit, and like you, I still love them, and love looking at other peoples. I too have a HUGE collection, I can't bring myself to sell it just yet :lol:

MissLove

Post by MissLove » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:20 pm

haha, glad i'm not the only one! My hair stuff takes up a whole room in my house theres so much of it.. I really need to sell it i think as i know deep down i'll never use it all again, it's just a nostalgia thing i think haha!

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:33 pm

Yeah it is, I have a massive box of dread kits/hair supplies that I take out occasionally :lol:

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:08 pm

I still wear dreads. I'm nearly 30, have 2 kids & am married.

Fuck it.

I will admit though I don''t wear them as often as I used to, I was the same as Amy once upon a time, but I do still love wearing them now. I have a few "perfect" kits that I regularly install. The "mad" phase with colour lasted for a few months, I mainly stick with black & a hint of grey/dark blue.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

MissLove

Post by MissLove » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:09 pm

Yea i could see myself wearing some nice silver/white/lilac combo's but i think i'm done with the crazy neons!

twigletstar

Post by twigletstar » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:16 pm

I've grown out of it, I feel like a numpty unless I'm going to a festival or something. I wore them on holiday and that felt great... but there was a subconscious 'you're not at home, it doesn't matter' thing going on.

That said I'm still totally in love with dreads and I can't get enough of making them for other people at the moment.

Goffy_lucc

Post by Goffy_lucc » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:12 pm

I am still going through my crazy phase and I don't think I will outgrow it for a long time. I feel myself with weird hair, and feel a bit uncomfortable without my hair an unnatural colour.
I feel 100% now I have real dreadlocks, I love them, but I still plan on shoving in synth dreads with them :shock:
~Louie <3
Facebook | Tumblr

Find funky hair and jewels at~
Etsy | Facebook

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:45 pm

i think ive definitely weaned off dreads a fair bit, ive worn everything from plain coloured single-ended sets to super multi-coloured triple ended!

i think for me i stopped wearing them as regularly when i was looking for a job after leaving university, during uni i experimented a LOT with my hair, because i could! I was never without dreads, and i wore synth in with my natural dreads too so i had a lot of hair going on
i think because i was forced to stop wearing them in order to get a job, i got so used to not having them that when i do wear them now i only wear single ended and all colour-toned in with each other because i feel oddly self concious if theyre too crazy

at the moment, im wearing natural human hair dreads which im quite enjoying and ive just finished making some synth in different shades of blue.... but ive not plucked up the courage to install them yet :(
i think its awfully strange, i used to feel awful without them in!

i think ive just gotten too used to having slightly dull hair, i adore dreads and probably always will, maybe one day ill get my dread-head confidence back :D

Lamie

Post by Lamie » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:04 am

I'm still kinda new to the dread world but I find that I feel more comfortable in them when the colors are less abrasive. I would never wear these beautiful neon sets I've seen, not because they're not gorgeous, just because I'd feel silly in them. Just not my style. I'm into a more subtle look I guess. My style has changed through the years but one thing is for certain: I will always be messing around with the way I look.

Lamie

Post by Lamie » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:05 am

I'm still kinda new to the dread world but I find that I feel more comfortable in them when the colors are less abrasive. I would never wear these beautiful neon sets I've seen, not because they're not gorgeous, just because I'd feel silly in them. Just not my style. I'm into a more subtle look I guess. My style has changed through the years but one thing is for certain: I will always be messing around with the way I look.

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:36 am

[Phexxie] wrote:
i think for me i stopped wearing them as regularly when i was looking for a job after leaving university, during uni i experimented a LOT with my hair, because i could! I was never without dreads, and i wore synth in with my natural dreads too so i had a lot of hair going on
Same here actually! I had the craziest hair during the uni years :lol:

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:18 pm

I'm with Sarah... nearly 30, married, mama... and I still rock dreads happily! I only have time to install 2-4 times a year though really. Also... I work in a salon, so I can get away with madness on my head and people eat it up with a spoon. :)
When I don't have dreads in my hair is still brightly colored, and I love every minute of it!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:41 pm

I stopped wearing dreads when my ex and I split in March. I just didn't have the time or energy. I was finishing up my degree, looking for a new home, and dealing with a raging case of carpal tunnel. In the meantime I have played with different dye jobs to keep things interesting, mostly in an orange color scheme.

Now that I am in my new place and settled a bit, I would love to get back into it a little more. I must admit my lust for them is not what it once was, but I still like synthetic dreads and the OCCASIONAL set of crin. Although I think my cyber goth days may be for the most part behind me.

Sharaya

Post by Sharaya » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:57 am

Mine have changed A LOT! I first discovered the whole hair falls thing when I was about 12, and I did not like synthetic dreads, or any kind of dreads at all, I thought they looked too organic and messy, even the sleek ones. I was obsessed with falls made of things like rexlax or rubber tubing. I remember drooling over this one particular goth model named Aconite who wore these long rubber tubing extensions. And to this day I have never seen those on anyone else. Im not even sure what they are called tbh. lol But i was really into the whole cyber rivethead deal back then. And she was my idol lol. Flash forward to age 17 and I started coming around to the idea of regular dread falls. And I was really into blacks and whites, silvers. Anything minimal or futuristic looking really, but only the sleek dreads. Now I'm 25 and I still love sci fi and electronic music but I don't dress like a cyborg anymore lol, quite the opposite. At about 19 I got really into all things victorian and started wearing ringlets and rag curls and things, ANYWAYS now im completeley diff. I would have never dreamed I would ever look twice at a set of naturals or woolies but Im dying for some now. I like the whole tribal, boho style, and crochet dreads are what I drool over, Still dont have a pair though. I make my own dreads now but I hate doing it to be honest and the only reason I do it is because I cant afford to buy them :( But I like more natural colors too now, like reds, golds, browns, also deep bold colors like forest green and burgundy. But yeah that's my journey :P

Return to “Hair Specific Chatter”