Forum rules
1) Clearly label your title
2) Add 'VID' to your title is there is a video/ Youtube link
That is it- easy peasy!
Squidgy

UV dying and Transitional Dying wool!!!

Post by Squidgy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:59 pm

You will need:

Roving wool (either dreaded or unfelted depending on prference - I prefer dreaded)
Clothes Horse
Washing Up Bowl
Jacquard Acid Dye
White Vinegar
Spoon
Large Saucepan
Kettle

My process starts with the dreads being felted. I prefer this as I find that the wool can sometimes start to felt together if you dye them before felting.
There are 50 medium length DE dreads that have been felted 4 times before I started the dying process:

You then take your washing up bowl and add enough hot water to cover all the dreads, then add half a cup full of white vinegar and stir before placing the dread in to soak.

They need to soak for at least half an hour to ensure they are all nicely wet and free from any oils that may stop the dye from penetrating.

Next choose your colours, for this full set I am making 25 brown to UV pink tips and 25 brown to UV green dreads. For this tutorial I am using the pink and brown. (interestingly enough, most of the dyes look a completely different shade to what they actually turn out, the green was more of a mustard shade but dyed the brightest green)

Put your hob on and boil your kettle, once boiled poor the water in to your pan and add a teaspoon of colour in as well

If it is your first time dying you may be a little alarmed that you have chosen the wrong colour, check using a tea spoon (as illistrated) or ensure you have a small chunk of excess wool to test to ensure the colour is not the wrong shade or is not too mellow or bright

Once the pan and water are sufficently warm, add a small cup of white vinegar in, this acts
as the fixer for the colour.

Then add the dreads in (if dying a large amount of dreads I would recommend doing half then half, I did 25 in a very large bowl and they just managed to fit)

Push the dreads down using a wooden spoon or mallett to ensure even coverage when dying, and leave the dread for about 15-20 minutes, stiring occassionally and keeping an eye on them.
You should then find that the water that was once bright pink, is now almost completely clear, this is because the wool has absorbed all the dye.

Remove the dreads from the bowl and drain all the excess water (careful though as they will be very hot)

Once all the water has drained off, you need to rinse them to ensure any excess colour is removed, once they have cooled down they should look something like this

And this is the dreads under UV light (please bare in mind the UV light I have a small money counter and the bulb is about the same size as my middle finger - if put under a proper UV light they would be much more vivid)

Apolgies for the rubbish picture there.

That is the end of this tutorial.. however I wanted transitional dreads.. so I need to replicate the process but in a slightly different method...

Soooooo, I leave the dreads to dry completely for two days and then I bunch the dreads together and tie them in the middle using an elastic band to hold them all sturdy.

You must then repeat the process of soaking the dreads (only the middle though not the whole dread) in the water and vinegar, and the step on adding the colour to the pan...

Then you place the dreads in to the pan

I like to get a good gradiant of transition of colour, in this case from brown to pink, so I spoon a small amount of colour and splash up thr dread slightly so that the colour stains the wool slightly but not as much as the wool that is fully submerged

Once the middles have been dyed for about 15 minutes, remove, wash off the excess dye and voila... your dreads should look like this...

I think that is everything, I hope my tutorial was easy to follow!! :D
Last edited by Squidgy on Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

WalksWithStrangers

Re: UV dying using wool and Jacquard Acid Dye!

Post by WalksWithStrangers » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:19 pm

Brilliant! Love it, thanks! x
Texas Chainsaw Teletubby: Po!

Sophrodisiac

Re: UV dying using wool and Jacquard Acid Dye!

Post by Sophrodisiac » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:53 pm

Awesome ^^ so tempted to try roving, is almost perfect weather for it.
I like bubbles.. :)
Dread it and Rave
SOPHI BUBBLE =)

Jane Doe

Re: UV dying and Transitional Dying wool!!!

Post by Jane Doe » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:26 am

Nice brilliant pink :)
I'll state the obvious warning, and say...

Don't use the same pot for dying and your food!!!
That goes for all the equipment that touches the dye

There are some nasty things in dyes that you don't want to get into your body.
So have designated spoons, pots, and other containers for your dying.

Some dyers are so cautious that they always use gloves and a face mask when handling dyes.
The face mask is so that you don't accidentally breathe in any of the dye powder before it is mixed with the water.
jungle dread on the facebooks

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:39 am

Woohoo! Thanks for this Squidgy.

Vicsarina

Post by Vicsarina » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:12 am

The tutorial looks good. :) I'm just wondering where you picked up the Jacquard Dyes.

The websites I've seen selling it haven't been ones I've heard anything about, so I was hoping maybe you had good experiences with one. :)
*Rule Obsessor*

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:18 am

Don't use the same pot for dying and your food!!!
That goes for all the equipment that touches the dye

There are some nasty things in dyes that you don't want to get into your body.
So have designated spoons, pots, and other containers for your dying.

Some dyers are so cautious that they always use gloves and a face mask when handling dyes.
The face mask is so that you don't accidentally breathe in any of the dye powder before it is mixed with the water.
Indeed, apologies... I have a stinking head cold and was trying to make sure I didn't forget anything.... I do have a range of kitcken utensils I have snaffled and keep in my tool kit, lol!!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

moosiefeltfelt

Post by moosiefeltfelt » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:57 am

another thing to add to the wkend squidge wicked tut and very easy to follow x
roll, roll, roll, the roving make the feltie dreads
hang em up n dry em out
and get a woolie head

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:37 pm

U bring some wool down girl and we can do it for sho... its gunna be a week not a weekend tho, lol!

Jane Doe

Post by Jane Doe » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:07 pm

Squidgy wrote: Indeed, apologies... I have a stinking head cold and was trying to make sure I didn't forget anything.... I do have a range of kitcken utensils I have snaffled and keep in my tool kit, lol!!
Nah, I know you're health conscious, and safe when you're dying.
I just didn't want someone young and new to dying, to borrow their parents pots & pans...

Sorry to hear you're not well :(

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Sorry to hear you're not well
Yeah stinking head cold.. but you will lauggh when I tell ya that i was hoovering earlier (as ikf my head wasn't bad enough) and knocked the fan on to my head.. doh!! :shock: :roll:

Then once I had finished hoovering I spilt all the contnets across my clean floor!! :shock: :o

Today just aint my day!!!!

Jane Doe

Post by Jane Doe » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:12 am

I'm sorry, but I had to giggle when I first read about your accident
That really sucks though.
and cleaning it up while sick couldn't have helped either....

Hope you get better soon!

linziloop

Post by linziloop » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:14 pm

Head colds suck! Hope you're feeling better!

I have *edit* 2 little questions - roughly how many dreads, or what weight of wool, will one jar of the dye, dye?!

Is the pink you used number 608 on the jacquard colour chart linked below?

http://www.jacquardproducts.com/product ... colors.php

Cheers!
http://www.linziloop.etsy.com, http://www.linziloop.folksy.com - dreads, accessories, graphic design, jewellery and soon - clothing! All hand made with love, in Liverpool, UK.

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:57 am

I have *edit* 2 little questions - roughly how many dreads, or what weight of wool, will one jar of the dye, dye?!

Linziloop... I couldn't accurately say how many dreads or how much wool one pot of colour would do, due to the fact I have never used one colour to dye one whole lot of dreads... it also depends on how rich you want the colour... you can soften the colour by adding more water... sorry that that isn't that useful... but i do know the colours go a long way...

As for the colours, it is actually 620 Hot Fuchsia and the green was 627 Kelly Green.. and they are brrrrrrrright colours... will post final results in a show off when i get 5 spare mins to sort through my piccies. x

linziloop

Post by linziloop » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:45 pm

Squidgy wrote:

Linziloop... I couldn't accurately say how many dreads or how much wool one pot of colour would do, due to the fact I have never used one colour to dye one whole lot of dreads... it also depends on how rich you want the colour... you can soften the colour by adding more water... sorry that that isn't that useful... but i do know the colours go a long way...

As for the colours, it is actually 620 Hot Fuchsia and the green was 627 Kelly Green.. and they are brrrrrrrright colours... will post final results in a show off when i get 5 spare mins to sort through my piccies. x

Thats cool, trial and error i guess! Hot Fuchsia, brilliant! Love it!
http://www.linziloop.etsy.com, http://www.linziloop.folksy.com - dreads, accessories, graphic design, jewellery and soon - clothing! All hand made with love, in Liverpool, UK.

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:20 pm

I am going to post a full show off with the finished dreads so you can see just how daaaang bright these colours are.

I am also in the process of creating another tut I did at the weekend with tye dye, rainbow style dying... fun times!!! :D

Return to “Roving & Wool”