Hope this is in the right forum... Dilemma with HH dreads

fernicus

Hope this is in the right forum... Dilemma with HH dreads

Post by fernicus » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:44 am

Ok, so, I have a friend who has waist length virgin hair (insert my immense hair envy here ) that has asked me to dread it up for him. Here's the catch: He is coming up on an important court date and feels he should cut his hair to look more presentable. Because it's been such a journey for him to grow the hair and how it has truly become an important part of who he is, he doesn't want to just discard the cut hair. I brought up to him about how i saw on this forum people extending their natural dreads with the crochet method and sometimes needle and thread. We figured we could dread his hair and wear them for a while before his court date then we chop them off and after everything has settled, we could sew/crochet them back on when the hair is long enough. He loved the idea. Now, the only thing he doesn't want to endure is buzzing/cutting his hair really short. I suppose what I'm trying to ask is how we can dread his hair so that when we cut them off he still has a little bit of hair to work with? Do you think that reattaching a full dreadhead is risky? What are your experience with reattaching/extending natural dreads? Any and all suggestions or input much appreciated!

brandalynn

Re: Hope this is in the right forum... Dilemma with HH dread

Post by brandalynn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:39 pm

How long do you have until his court date? Ideally, the dreads should be more mature for this. It can still work with newer dreads, but you will want to make sure the dreads are crocheted well. Do not use wax at any point. This will leave you with weak spots and a huge mess. There is tons of info on how to dread hair on here. You shouldn't have to shave the dreads off. You can cut the dreads to leave the desired length behind. It will take time and patience, but you can comb out the dreads left near the scalp. There are alot of methods for removing dreads and people have mentioned dread removal products ranging from liquid fabric softener to cheap conditioners.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

Dreaddictedcreations

Post by Dreaddictedcreations » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:02 pm

I have worked quite a lot with extending kk and hh natural dreads. Your idea should work. Not impossible and quite intresting actually. Crossing my fingers for you (:

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:02 pm

Why doesn't he just tie his hair back in a pony tail/one braid for court & dread it afterwards? Seems like an awful lot to go through when patience for dreads seems to make more sense to me.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

fernicus

Post by fernicus » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:11 am

brandalynn wrote:How long do you have until his court date? Ideally, the dreads should be more mature for this. It can still work with newer dreads, but you will want to make sure the dreads are crocheted well. Do not use wax at any point. This will leave you with weak spots and a huge mess. There is tons of info on how to dread hair on here. You shouldn't have to shave the dreads off. You can cut the dreads to leave the desired length behind. It will take time and patience, but you can comb out the dreads left near the scalp. There are alot of methods for removing dreads and people have mentioned dread removal products ranging from liquid fabric softener to cheap conditioners.
not long, less than a month probably... i spent a lot of time looking at tons of threads on here and didnt quite find what i was looking for. he is totally against using wax, just wants to use a crochet hook for maintenance. i have the dread experience at this point, as ive been making crochet natural dreads for myself. i think your idea with combing out the roots will work. his hair at the roots shouldnt be too dreaded to remove a couple inches of knotty-ness.

fernicus

Post by fernicus » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:15 am

DreadstarMonstar wrote:Why doesn't he just tie his hair back in a pony tail/one braid for court & dread it afterwards? Seems like an awful lot to go through when patience for dreads seems to make more sense to me.
lets just say he doesnt exactly look like an upstanding member of society and the long hair doesnt exactly help (a lot of it has to do with where he's going to court at, stereotypes and stuff). plus the charges he's up against. he could possibly not be coming back from this court date for a couple years. if he goes to jail with long hair or dreads, they could be used as a weapon against him. so in case he goes away that day, we'll have his dreads for when he gets out. his hair is a defining part of who he is and how far he has come in the past 10 years. he doesnt want to just cut it off and have to throw it away. =[

Izzybeau

Post by Izzybeau » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:06 am

Personally, I think it would be a waste of time to dread before court if he needs to chop them off within a month. The dreads would not be mature enough at that point and it seems like a whole lot of effort gone to waste. I would advise him if he really wants to cut his hair, to cut it before dreading, and save the hair. The loose hair can then be used afterwards to make dread extenders when he's ready to comit to the dreads. If you band the hair off before cutting it would be easier. Goodluck.
http://www.facebook.com/izzybeau.uk

(\__/)
(='.'=) OoOoOooohhh!!!
(")_(")

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:06 am

Why doesn't he cut his hair to a long- short style, at least 3 inches long all over so that if this go well, he can have fake extension dreads braided in and keep that up as his hair grows?

Perhaps keep hold of the natural hair until his own hair has time to dread and it can be extended with it?

fernicus

Post by fernicus » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:22 pm

the time came to where i had to cut his hair (kept about 3 inches all around). 11 years of hair cut off lol but i kept it, braided for safekeeping until i can locate and purchase a vice to make his loose hair into dreads, then attach to the dreads ill make of the hair he has left on his head. i think everything will work out. thanks for all the great help

Return to “Loose Synthetic & Human”