Indecisiveness=hair advice needed before i shave it off!

eingana

Indecisiveness=hair advice needed before i shave it off!

Post by eingana » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:30 pm

Hello!

I've been stalking this and other forums for a few years but never had any extensions myself. Now, however, I am sooo tired of my hair that I'm going insane and I don't know what to do with it! I am sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum but I need advice or tips and things.

I'm contemplating shaving it all off. Or cutting it all off. Or dying it some sort of rattish-brown. (Is that a colour in english as well?) But I can't decide what I want either. And I think everything will look weird because I have no experience. So I need helppp.

So: my hair currently reaches to my chin. It's a bit shorter in the back than in the front since I have some sort of bob-cut. I am either thinking of adding extensions - either human hair or shapeshifter ones, I don't know which colour yet, or making real dreads and lengthening them. And I kind of want a side cut. What should I do? Is it hard to install extensions on yourself? Which technique do you recommend? I like to braid my hair whenever it's longer or do some sort of up-dos, what will be the least noticeable? I'm thinking that perhaps I can glue the hair in using fusion? Will it damage my hair a lot? Is my hair too short still? Will it look strange?

Currently I'm leaning towards getting a sidecut and having different green coloured extensions to around shoulder length or a little longer. Or maybe purple. Or red/orange. What do you think?

Aaahg. Help me! Any advice whatsoever on colours or hairstyles or tips on how to apply extensions is very very welcome.

this is what my hair looks like if it's having a good day.
or like this. sorry for bad quality pictures, I don't have any others at the moment.

(http://chocolateoatmilk.tumblr.com/tagged/me here are more pictures, should you want to see them.)

NirvanaMarie

Re: Indecisiveness=hair advice needed before i shave it off!

Post by NirvanaMarie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Looks like it should be long enough for extensions. I would suggest clip in or Liquid Gold if you are going to be doing them on yourself. Your hair is probably a bit short for starter dreads. You could do a dread install no problem though. Check out some of our tutorials, maybe they will give you some inspiration. http://www.doctoredlocks.com

eingana

Post by eingana » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:23 pm

doclocksinfo wrote:Looks like it should be long enough for extensions. I would suggest clip in or Liquid Gold if you are going to be doing them on yourself. Your hair is probably a bit short for starter dreads. You could do a dread install no problem though. Check out some of our tutorials, maybe they will give you some inspiration. http://www.doctoredlocks.com
Thank you for your reply! I think I'd like something more permanent than clip ins. I suppose I could get help installing extensions/dreads but I don't actually know anyone who've done it before, so it'd still be something you need to be able to handle as a beginner.

But - the Liquid Gold - can you use that for bulk hair? Like the Shapeshifter-hair? Or should you use it on pre-bonded hair?

And I also emailed your website but I haven't gotten a reply yet so I might as well ask here too; will the special effects-hair be affected by things as braiding or sleeping with wet hair and so on? Or will it be straight at all times? Because I'm afraid that'll look strange?

And could anyone explain how it feels to have extensions/dreads? Is it uncomfortable to not be able to scratch your scalp or things like that? Will your fingers get stuck if you run your hands through your hair? (As I've said - I have NO experience with fake hair so sorry for the stupid questions)

And I've already watched a ton of your tutorials, they are really good and make it even harder to decide what I want... :)
Last edited by eingana on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Liquid Gold is best used for wefted hair if you are installing yourself.

Do you mean Shapeshifter? Shapeshifter is a synthetic, so it doesn't respond exactly like human hair. We have tutorials on how to style it, but essentially synthetics retain shape with the cooling process rather than the heating like human hair. You can get awesome curl out of it with a curling iron!

As for the feeling, it will take some getting use to. Running your hands through your scalp doesn't really work, you can section it off and get between the tracks or dreads. Knotty Boy makes an awesome cooling spray that will help with the itchies. For the first few days with dreads or a sewn-in style can be a bit uncomfortable. It takes a bit for them to loosen up. Dreads more so. If you have never had any experience, I really would try clip ins first. Some people have too sensitive of heads for extensions, or find the extra bulk.

I have had almost every type of extensions, except a full head of singles. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. We all have to start somewhere :)

strandzofadiva

Post by strandzofadiva » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:24 pm

If possible you should visit a local BSS and ask to try on a few selections. Some shops will limit how many wigs you can try on, so go with a specfic style, cut in mind and ask to try on those styles in the color of your choice. This will help you decide what works for you. This can save you a lot of time, money and aggravation.

Return to “Loose Synthetic & Human”