Matching fringes to dreads (or not?)

invertedcross

Matching fringes to dreads (or not?)

Post by invertedcross » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:15 am

I have been cruising around, looking at various pictures, etc, and wondering:

Is it necessary to match your bangs to your dreads? Is it better to show bangs if you are using a bandana to cover up the rest of your hair if you have falls in? Does it look okay to show natural color if your falls are completely different than your natural color?

I've been debating back and forth on this and decided to ask you knowledgeable folks. ;)

VixenSingsBlack

Re: Matching fringes to dreads (or not?)

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:37 am

It all depends on what you want. Some people will vehemently insist that all the hair color matches; some will say it doesn't matter as long as it's stylish.

Myself, I believe having a fringe that matches falls (or extensions) makes the whole "look" neater, cleaner, more unified. However, I don't think it is the only way to go about things. My own hair is a dark ash blonde, and I have always put in extensions that don't exactly match my hair color. At first, I didn't worry about matching my hair. Then I started to hide my natural fringe under bandanas (well, it's not a proper fringe exactly...) Now I make synthetic fringes to match my extensions. In the future, I hope to make dreadies to match my own hair color perfectly (we'll see how that goes :? ) and let my fringe loose.

Whatever you're most comfortable with. Why not try matching using a fake fringe? See how that goes, ask your friends how they like it, see if you like it (most important of course!) yadayada. Then you can find out what you like.

invertedcross

Post by invertedcross » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:25 pm

Thanks for all the input. I didn't know if I was going to be committing a terrible faux pas by wearing bright red fringe with black dreads (or vice versa...).

My "natural" fringe is purple, and sometimes.. it just clashes.

My boyfriend says I look stupid with a straight fringe (which I prefer) so I don't think he'll be much help with color matching. :lol:

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:19 am

at the minute my hair tends to match my dreads because i'm able to change the colour as often as i want to in my current job. before that they didn't match and it never bothered me. i think it's how you carry yourself determines how well it's pulled off. if you ooze the confidence with it being fine how it is then other people will follow suit lol. i like clashes and contrasts though so i'm perfectly happy to have a colour that doesn't match
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

halocaustic

Post by halocaustic » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:57 am

I am personally really anal about my hair matching my dreads, but its the fringe you asked about...so anyway, no I don't think it has to match. I have seen many people dye their fringe a different colour from the rest of their hair and it looks really good.
http://www.halo-wear.co.uk
Hair extensions & customised t-shirts

WalksWithStrangers

Post by WalksWithStrangers » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:02 am

You could always wack in a red dread or two into the fall to help it blend in :D
Personally, depending on the colours, i love colourblocking with fringes and dreads, it makes a real statement :D
Especially contrasting colours, orange dreads/blue fringe, etc :]
Texas Chainsaw Teletubby: Po!

harlequin

Post by harlequin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:35 am

i usually have my hair and fringe the same colour as my dreads, and this time i have bright blue dreads and my fring is black.

it took a bit of getting used to but now i quite like it :)
personally i dont think it matters, i think if you're confident in yourself then everyone else will think it looks good too :)

invertedcross

Post by invertedcross » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:17 pm

WalksWithStrangers wrote:You could always wack in a red dread or two into the fall to help it blend in :D
Personally, depending on the colours, i love colourblocking with fringes and dreads, it makes a real statement :D
Especially contrasting colours, orange dreads/blue fringe, etc :]
I love contrasting colors! - my favorites are yellow/purple.

You know, people probably think dread falls look so strange anyway I doubt they'll care if the fringe is a different color. (Not that it matters as long as I like it, right? :P )

Thanks for all the input!

Sophrodisiac

Post by Sophrodisiac » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:42 pm

I usually dye my hair to match the dreads but i never do just one colour so i have some matching and some not ^_^ I like a good mix.
I like bubbles.. :)
Dread it and Rave
SOPHI BUBBLE =)

DreadLab

Post by DreadLab » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:38 am

I never dye my hair to match my dreads. My hair's really dark, so I don't find that it really ever clashes with any colours.
I do think it looks really neat though when people colour their hair to match though--it makes the braids alot less noticable
Dread Lab, speciallizing in synthetic SE dread extenions and falls.
http://www.myspace.com/DreadLab

dreadfullydivine

Post by dreadfullydivine » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:13 am

I also think that matching dreads and fringe completes the whole look however I have seen several people here on the show offs that pull off the look. So perhaps try it witha fake fringe and see how you like it before taking the plunge?
Raising the next generation of future warlords..

Noodles!

Post by Noodles! » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:00 pm

I tend to match my fringe to my dreads, mainly because I dye my normal hair the colour of the set i'm wearing, so it just makes sense to dye my fringe as well.

But as has been mentioned above, some people can pull of having a different coloured fringe.
x Peace Love Unity Respect x

Nina Evil

Post by Nina Evil » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:52 am

I try to do this but I do thing that you should do what you think is best and what you think suits you :)

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”