My dreads keep falling out!

Ivanarot

My dreads keep falling out!

Post by Ivanarot » Sun May 03, 2009 10:46 am

I just bought some Double ended synthetic dreads, and I've only had them for two days but all the bands keep snapping and they keep getting really loose! :i3: I don't know what to do. I've bought some thicker bands from eeeebay, and I'm hoping that will help - but does anyone have any tips for wearing them and making them like... not fall out!? thanks! <13
I'm not hungover, I'm just sick of you

LittlePinkFaery

Re: My dreads keep falling out!

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sun May 03, 2009 10:50 am

look up a tutorial on here for the banket stitch method- it is a much stronger plait. your plaits are clearly too loose- you need to be very forcefull to get the dread as tight to the head as you can.

It also sounds like you have some rubbish elastics, it is normal for them to snap occasionally but not as much as you describe. If you have a black hair shop near you go buy elastics from there, as thye tend to be good quality ones. Don't get clear ones as these tend to be weaker for some unknown reason!

once I learnt to blanket stich/ herringbone plait, I never used a single plaint install again!

Heiaken

Post by Heiaken » Sun May 03, 2009 10:51 am

Just braid tightly and snugly and get bands that don't snap so then the dreads wont fall off. Also If your hair is shorter than 10cm the dreads might still fall out if since the braid just doesn't hold the weight of the dreads. In my experience machine made dreads are far more slippery than handhamde so they slip more easily.

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sun May 03, 2009 10:55 am

good point about short hair- When i installed on my hubby he had 3" hair- I secured trhe dread at the base with a band aswell and criss corssed the band up thebraid a little so there were no pokies!

JolieLouise

Post by JolieLouise » Sun May 03, 2009 3:10 pm

Learn to blanket sticth as advised above.
I did recently and I never get my braids shifting or dropping now.
Make sure your elastics are good quality and are secured tightly enough..

At the base of your braid pull the two strands of hair tightly accross the dread so that you can feel the tightness against your scalp but it isn't painful. This should give your braid a secure "starting point" if that makes any sense. There should be no gap between your head and the dread.

Return to “Synthetic Dreadlocks”