Dandruff >_<

zombie

Dandruff >_<

Post by zombie » Tue May 19, 2009 6:19 pm

Well recently i've been having really, really, really, really, really bad dandruff.
It honestly doesn't bother me that much...Except that i cannot wear dreads longer than just a few days and it is not worth the 2-3 hours that i spend installing them...

I've used the head&shoulder shampoo, but i think i read someplace that it's BS and doesn't really do anything...

Am i possibly washing my hair the wrong way? If that's even possible...Cause i've never had dandruff before. Not this bad...
Slaughter is the best medicine.

Lorny

Re: Dandruff >_<

Post by Lorny » Tue May 19, 2009 6:41 pm

Head & Shoulders is a really good shampoo for dandruff. It could be that you aren't rinsing products out of your hair properly, and this is what has caused the dandruff.
I am neither blue nor red. I am a proud recruit of the Indecisive Army!

skymistress

Post by skymistress » Tue May 19, 2009 7:31 pm

I've been getting loads of dandruff lately - first time with dread extensions in too.. I only wash my scalp once a week , maybe two if I feel like it, with diluted shampoo - I use the fructis shampoo by garnier. That still didn't help my dandruff problem, but I did go to my local Sally Beauty supply and went to the ethnic section and found some "braid relief" by Dr. Miracles :) It relieves tightness on your scalp, itchiness, improves blood flow on your scalp and moisturizes - haven't seen any sign of dandruff since I started using it :) (It's a spray on kinda thing, you don't have to wash it out or anything) And it makes dreads smell wonderful!!

Hope that was helpful!

candycovered

Post by candycovered » Tue May 19, 2009 9:40 pm

Lorny wrote:Head & Shoulders is a really good shampoo for dandruff. It could be that you aren't rinsing products out of your hair properly, and this is what has caused the dandruff.
Blergh! Head & Shoulders is awful stuff! A test was done with it by one of the ladies who trained us at Lush, it was put on a varnished wooden table & left for an hour. When she came back, the varnish had melted away & was bubbling.
Yes it's been prooven in the short term to help with dandruff, but this is only due to the fact it basically gives your entire scalp an acid peel. -Nice.

I'd recommend using Lush's Snake Oil which will soothe away itchiness & slow/stop the shedding. Use a nice gentle shampoo such as Lush's Squeaky Green solid bar, which really helped when I tore my scalp open (smells beautiful too!).

I know it sounds like I'm just bigging up Lush, but I promise you, these are decently priced, ethical and beautiful products that really work.
I wish that time would stand still,
if this was part of a film
we would watch the clip all day,
like a portrait of you and I...

equusargentum

Post by equusargentum » Tue May 19, 2009 11:29 pm

Head and Shoulders makes my scalp worse. I've had some success with products containing tea tree oil - my favourite is Faith in Nature http://www.faithinnature.co.uk/ec_produ ... php?pid=20

miss chaotic

Post by miss chaotic » Wed May 20, 2009 3:31 am

tea tree oil and rosemary dilute it in warm water and give it a shake pour it over your head let it sit a few minutes then rinse really well.. also how many times a week do you wash your hair? you may be washing it too frequently and stripping your head of the oils that it needs
sometimes i think there's no reason to get out of bed...then i feel wet and realise there is!!

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Wed May 20, 2009 5:15 am

Definitely not a fan of the flakes, and it happens from time to time. Okay, so I have a small patch on my temple that's red and unhappy, but probly unrelated.

Anywho, I have fallen in love with using Lustrasilk's tea trea-infused cholesterol, which is essentially just super concentrated conditioner. Bought a rather large tub that lasted for about 3 months and it totally cleared up the flakiness. Also use Suave shampoo and conditioner, as it has Vitamin E already in it and it makes my hair nice and soft.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Wed May 20, 2009 6:35 am

I used to have braids in all the time and my scalp was a mess and I found that Sunsilk's soothing shampoo and conditioner helped me a lot.
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Wed May 20, 2009 12:54 pm

Coconut oil is fantastic for dandruff! So is vinegar (I think apple cider vinegar in particular) but of course you will probably prefer the smell of coconut. :D
More human than human

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Wed May 20, 2009 6:10 pm

candycovered wrote:
Lorny wrote:Head & Shoulders is a really good shampoo for dandruff. It could be that you aren't rinsing products out of your hair properly, and this is what has caused the dandruff.
Blergh! Head & Shoulders is awful stuff! A test was done with it by one of the ladies who trained us at Lush, it was put on a varnished wooden table & left for an hour. When she came back, the varnish had melted away & was bubbling.
Yes it's been prooven in the short term to help with dandruff, but this is only due to the fact it basically gives your entire scalp an acid peel. -Nice.
Yep, I know this! They used to do perms with it too. Any 'non-natural' dandruff shampoo does this to the scalp cuz it is very alkaline, which is why it is so effective against dandruff.

When used long term it is very bad for the hair since the hair is acidic, but to use it for a few shampoos to get rid of the problem and then switching to regular shampoos is fine. I wouldn't rule out the cider vinegar, or other natural remedies, although they still have the high alkaline levels which get rid of the problem. Just make sure you find out the cause of the dandruff so you don't get it again!

Nixxiie

Post by Nixxiie » Wed May 20, 2009 6:40 pm

I used to love head and shoulders for men....it used to make the dandruff go...BUT they changed the recipe...

A warm oil soak usually helps but..I have to say...Tgel.

It's wonderful stuff :)

kaned_ferret

Post by kaned_ferret » Wed May 20, 2009 8:01 pm

Nizoral

Magic

:P

Although I really do want to order some snake oil from lush.

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Wed May 20, 2009 8:24 pm

Some people have had bad reviews on both Nizoral and T gel, but I have tried both and I think they work pretty well, especially after 6 weeks of dreadies has left you with more than your fair share of flake!

Medea

Post by Medea » Fri May 22, 2009 5:50 am

I actually have a skin fungus that causes me to have really bad dandruff 90% of the time. My doctor told me to use Nizoral. It's the strongest dandruff shampoo you can get over the counter. I absolutely love the stuff, the only problem is that it's very very very drying. So if your going to use it you need to find a really good conditioner. I haven't used tea tree oil alone but I have mixed it with head and shoulders after running out of Nizoral and it did kick it up a few notches. I was very pleased and surprised.
http://www.myspace.com/plastick
^Check these guys out^

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Fri May 22, 2009 3:27 pm

Head and Shoulders took spilled paint out of my roomates bathtub! its powerful stuff! I don't think I would use it after I saw that!

Also, not sure if its just me or it happens to everyone, but i notice that if I fall asleep with wet or damp hair I am much flakier the next day. I think its the prolonged moisture on the scalp. I'm not sure if you go to bed with damp hair, but if you do, maybe stopping that would help.

Miss Cydonia

Post by Miss Cydonia » Fri May 22, 2009 6:20 pm

kaned_ferret wrote:Nizoral

Magic
or nizorelle or anything along those lines (some are over the counter). They are expensive but well worth it-I use Nizorelle religiously, its the only thing that keeps flakes at bay and Ive tried everything else.

I cannot stress enough though-you must leave the shampoo on your scalp for a good 4 minutes for it to do its job.

Head n shoulders is rubbish. Even the advert says "visibly clearer scalp......when viewed from 2 feet away"!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT? So close up your dandruff is still there?-Of course!! Rubbish

"the strength of us all could demolish a wall-
but you chose to walk through the door"

*Miss Cydonia-Muse fan since 1999 (keeper of the Arpeggios)*

kaned_ferret

Post by kaned_ferret » Sun May 24, 2009 12:56 pm

I tried Nizorelle (cos it was like a quid cheaper than nizoral and I'm a cheapskate) but didn't find it as effective. Maybe my dandruff has labelling issues :lol:

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed May 27, 2009 11:30 am

i get dandruff on occasion....i didn't know about H&S stripping your hair....eeeeeep! I may have to mosey on down to lush & the weekend & get some of their stuff.

Thank goodness i found this thread!
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:32 pm

A good one to use 15 minutes before washing your hair is the Snake Oil Massage Bar from Lush. I've been using it and it's gorgeus :D

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:35 pm

I thought it might be worth mentioning that since I stopped straightening my hair about 3 weeks ago, my dandruff has totally disappeared :)
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:40 pm

The Australian Hair and Scalp Foundation doesn't really exist... Well, it does, but it's like the tiniest little division in a hospital in Melbourne.

Thanks to the Gruen Transfer for bringing out the truth about Head&Shoulders' false advertising!

Intra_venus

Post by Intra_venus » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:50 pm

My boyfriend has a patch of really bad dandruff on the back of his head, and we have tried everything to get rid of it...May try Lush soon though... We tried the Snake OIl and it was ok, but not having a shower, Its hard to leave things on then rinse them...

His Mum is a hairdresser and mentioned that a high-fat diet can cause dandruff so thats always something to bear in mind!

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:56 pm

Intra_venus wrote:My boyfriend has a patch of really bad dandruff on the back of his head, and we have tried everything to get rid of it...May try Lush soon though... We tried the Snake OIl and it was ok, but not having a shower, Its hard to leave things on then rinse them...

His Mum is a hairdresser and mentioned that a high-fat diet can cause dandruff so thats always something to bear in mind!
I've never heard of that in my years as a hairdresser... Are you sure that's just not her trying to make him eat better?

Are you sure it isn't a patch of eczema or something? Cuz to have one spot is pretty weird. Stress and other stuff can cause eczema when there has been no history of it.

Intra_venus

Post by Intra_venus » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:14 pm

Could be her lying to be honest, lol, he is getting a bit porky! Although it has sprung up since we moved to somewhere without an oven so it could he his diet...

And yeah, we did think it would be exema or soemthing cos he gets it on his hands. He tried putting E45 on it, but it's hard to find something to help... Maybe if I get him to use a really mild Lush shampoo it might not irritate it as much?

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:40 am

Try using Tea Tree oil shampoo by Redwin or the Coal Tar shampoo, my BF had horrible dandruff which is now improving thanks to both shampoo's!

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”