Cure acne with Vit D!

Nanou2

Cure acne with Vit D!

Post by Nanou2 » Mon May 16, 2011 2:24 pm

I thought I would share as this has been amazing for me! :)

I had acne as a teenager. At the beginning of high school it was the worst. It gradually got less aggressive until I would just get mild breakouts. I always had spots every day. There wasn't a day where I would not have spots. When I was 20 I went for a hormone test as I knew something wasn't right. The results were that I had an imbalance and had an excess in androgen. I was told the treatment to balance out the hormones was far too harsh and probably bring more trouble than worth.

I have been on birth control pill and injection and noticed all my hormonal problems came after I finished taking these.
A couple of years ago I took the birth control pill call Yaz. After a few days of taking it I noticed I stopped getting spots.. after a week my skin had cleared up and for the first time since I could remember I had clear skin and no breakouts what so ever. I started to get pains in my legs, and after reading horror stories of blood clots and lawsuits against Yaz, I decided to stop taking them. I actually vowed never to take birth control again.

I tried to balance out my hormones naturally. I used known herbs that are said to help. I didn't get any results.

A few weeks ago I started to take Vitamin D3. I spent most my life in England where I didn't get much sun :lol: and when I do get in the sun I wear high spf. After watching a TV show about how most people are deficient in vitamin d, I decided I must be too! I seemed to fit some of the symptoms and it made sense.

So I started taking vitamin D3. It cost $5 for 90pills. After only a week I noticed I stopped getting spots, just like I did with the birth control. It has been nearly 3weeks now and my face had cleared up. I went through my time of the month with clear skin! I got one spot in the whole 3weeks and that cleared up in 2days completely!

I hadn't been doing anything else new but the vitamin d. I searched online and found lots of other people claiming the same thing!

I take my vitamin D3 with a glass of milk as it helps with calcium absorption.

Here are some links! I was totally shocked when I actually found out it was the vitamin d! Such and easy solution! I wish I had started taking it years ago.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Vitami ... 24285.html

http://www.acne.org/vitamin-d-reviews/704/page1.html

http://lighttherapyoptions.com/2008/11/ ... -and-acne/

http://themotherhealth.blogspot.com/200 ... -cure.html
Last edited by Nanou2 on Mon May 16, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrsEss

Re: Cure acne with Vit D!

Post by MrsEss » Mon May 16, 2011 2:38 pm

I lived in africa for a long, long time & the sun did absolutely nothing for my skin.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:20 pm

:( I have read about people using vitamin D and not getting any results either. It can only work for some people I guess!

This site says vitamin d is considered a hormone! http://www.differencebetween.net/scienc ... itamin-d3/

"It is also interesting to note that since it is produced in the body, vitamin D is actually considered a hormone and not really a vitamin! Vitamin D is very important as it regulates the production of phosphorous and calcium in the body."

Maybe it only works for people who's acne is caused by hormones.

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Mon May 16, 2011 7:46 pm

I was watching Embarrassing Bodies the other day and the bloke said that the sun makes your skin worse. However, when my sister an I went on holiday to Egypt we found that our acne had really cleared up. I thought it was down to me not wearing make up, but my sister has terrible acne trouble on her face and back and doesn't wear anything on her face. We both agreed that it must have been the sun. Other than that, I have no idea what it could have been.

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:07 pm

I haven't researched it enough to know why it has cleared my acne I just know it worked. I read stuff about it being a hormone, doing something to hormones and some stuff about zinc.

I'm wondering if getting it from the sun is different than taking vitamin D3 orally.

I find when I go in the sun it makes my skin more oily and therefor more prone to acne.

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Mon May 16, 2011 9:33 pm

I have a friend who's had terrible trouble with her skin since high school. She's tried everything, and finally started Vitamin D, and it's worked amazingly!. I should note we live in an area where we see little sun all winter and way too much in the summer. :P
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Mon May 16, 2011 9:36 pm

Nanou2 wrote:I haven't researched it enough to know why it has cleared my acne I just know it worked. I read stuff about it being a hormone, doing something to hormones and some stuff about zinc.

I'm wondering if getting it from the sun is different than taking vitamin D3 orally.

I find when I go in the sun it makes my skin more oily and therefor more prone to acne.
I don't know about people, but I know with reptiles the correct form of vitamin D is only produced with UVB in the body. You can't give a reptile vitamin supplements and no UBV light- it just doesn't work. I dunno if its different in people?
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

Thorne

Post by Thorne » Sun May 22, 2011 11:27 am

Oooh, this might be worth looking into. My partner suffers with terrible acne on his back and nothing seems to help. I know it really gets him down, he doesn't go swimming and he suffers in the summer with the heat. At festivals we're surrounded by men shirtless (which, more often than not, is not a pretty sight) but he stubbornly keeps his on, even though he get's uncomfortably warm.
I'm not a role model, I'm a fashion icon.

iamdolleyes

Post by iamdolleyes » Tue May 24, 2011 6:58 pm

didn't you also start eating meat again after being vegetarian? not discounting vitamin D (because many people ARE deficient in the world, its totally true) but after having some fairly serious imbalances that eating meat seemed to help sort out for you maybe both had an effect for you personally.

I wouldn't discount either of those things anyway, though seeing actual results can take months so it can be frustrating to figure out what it is or if its a combination of many things...trust me, my skin has been on and off for YEARS and no 'doctor approved' treatments have ever made a difference..I recently stopped consuming soy milk/soy products and replaced with coconut milk (for coffee/oatmeal) along with some unpasteurized cheese in my diet (regular dairy products tend to give me cysts!) and my skin seems to be slowly improving. I give props to the fats I added to my diet, fat gets a bad rap.

ok i'm rambling, here's the theory..fat is required in a diet to be able to make certain things in your diet available to your body, including proper processing of many hormones. Heck, half of vitamins are fat soluble only. Many "fats" in our diet now are transfats (seed oils) or molecularily changed (homogenized milks) and thus are not performing optimally as intended. When you are able to consume actual amounts of REAL fat (generally saturated, actually) the body becomes efficient and able to properly move said vitamins and hormones around again. So were you to be low in vitamin d (I was) and not have available fat sources (I know I didn't have ANY in my diet) then nothing is working as intended. So my thoughts are including meat (which has saturated fats in small amounts) in your diet along with said vitamin d (hormones) really helped you out a lot

I promised I wouldn't ramble. OH well. here's a fun link. the title is narrow, but the content is fairly broad. Oh, and it's written by a biologist with a specialty in physiology focusing on female hormones. so you may lose yourself in the entire site actually, its pretty interesting (and all sourced)
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/coconut-oil.shtml

also, as a fellow Canadian I have been told by a few doctors that if you live north above a certain part of the equator (which includes most of canada..hah) then during most of the year even when it is 'sunny' outside you are not actually converting the sun into vitamin D anyway, I'm not sure if its an angle of the sun thing (the sun is closer to us in the winter, but its colder..so there is obviously something about planetary angles that I lack the knowledge to explain or understand completely) but it would seem to make sense that for lots of people supplementation helps but 'actual' sunlight doesn't.
i like my coffee black
just like my metal

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:57 pm

:o

I started eating meat a couple of months ago and the acne effects came a week after taking vitamin D. The main reason I thought it was the vitamin D was all the reviews I read about vitamin D giving the same results.

I think you have a point though. I agree that fats including saturated are needed. I don't really eat anything too fatty though and if I do it's not very often. I should probably eat a bit more! I do think the meat eating has helped me in many ways and this could contribute to one of them.

I did have one break out since starting the thread but it has cleared up now and back to clearer face. I notice my mood changing for the days of having a breakout. I don't thinks it's that I look like a pepperoni pizza either, I know it's my hormones!

I will definitely read that link as I am so interested in female hormones as I have so many problems with them.

Thank you for all the info

Thorne wrote:Oooh, this might be worth looking into. My partner suffers with terrible acne on his back and nothing seems to help. I know it really gets him down, he doesn't go swimming and he suffers in the summer with the heat. At festivals we're surrounded by men shirtless (which, more often than not, is not a pretty sight) but he stubbornly keeps his on, even though he get's uncomfortably warm.
It's something to try. Very cheap and could help clear it up a bit. My husband gets cystic acne under his jaw line, which is unnoticeable but it can be quite painful. Since he has been having vitamin D he says it has cleared up by about 80% Good luck! :)

iamdolleyes

Post by iamdolleyes » Thu May 26, 2011 3:59 pm

i'm glad to hear you're having so much success, unspecified health problems that no one can seem to figure out are so horrible to live with. I say olive oil and coconut oil are awesome..I have always used olive (like for salads or whatever, its not so great to cook with) but adding in coconut milk seems to be helping me out a bit, I still need to buy some unrefined oil and try cooking with that. I've been making my own ghee and using that so far, which is surprising because normally I cannot consume any dairy or I get huge painful cysts...so something changed! I do take vitamin D but unfortunately I never had the miracle cure you did, although it does help with feeling down (especially in winter) so I try to remember to take it anyway! Enjoy the reading, I got lost there for hours :)
i like my coffee black
just like my metal

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:50 pm

my skin always gets better in the summer, when im always out in the sun. makes sense. as for the whole vegetarian/meat eater thing, i actually had far less breakouts when i was a vegetarian for 4 years.

Miffy

Post by Miffy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:40 pm

poxabomination wrote:I don't know about people, but I know with reptiles the correct form of vitamin D is only produced with UVB in the body. You can't give a reptile vitamin supplements and no UBV light- it just doesn't work. I dunno if its different in people?
Yes it does work for humans ;)
I had a D-deficiency and have been taking supplements the whole winter. I probably have a bit of an absorption-problem, because D is absorbed at the same place as B12 and that's not going right either ;)

The sun only works for your vitamin D in the time of year that your shadow is shorter than yourself at noon. For my country that is roughly all the months without the 'R'. And the sunstrength has to be a '4' or higher.
If you sit in the sun without sunscreen for 15 to 30 minutes at the right time (between 12 and 15 here) you'll absorp enough vitamin D to not need supplements. Also, if you take supplements, make sure you're not taking in too much IU, although opinions vary and research proves higher base-levels can be maintained safely, D3 is still toxic if the level in your body gets too high.
Travelling through time, finding my future

http://sheep24.superbij.nl

CryptiquesBizarre

Post by CryptiquesBizarre » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:14 pm

Oh you're wonderful to have posted this and the information. Acne can be just plain painful too... Definitely going to have a discussion with my Dr. Thank you!

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”