adding synthetic dreads to natural dreadlocks

pasta

adding synthetic dreads to natural dreadlocks

Post by pasta » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:38 pm

hey, i just joined and have nooo experience with fake hair. ive had natural dreads for a year, and im getting annoyed that they refuse to dye different colors. i was thinking of adding synthetic dreads to my hair for color and a bit of length, but i wasnt sure whether i should order/make single ended dreads(and loop them around a natural dread) or double ended (and poke a hole in them). also, is there any seller who makes dreads that would look a bit more like natural dreads?
any help/ideas would be great! thanks. :)

Miss Liberty

Re: adding synthetic dreads to natural dreadlocks

Post by Miss Liberty » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:05 pm

I have a returning customer who likes to use my DE's to braid into her natural dreads. I honestly don't know the method she uses, as she has someone else put them in for her. But she religiously orders DE's, so I would think those would be easier.

Gillimac

Post by Gillimac » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:07 am

Well I've got natural dreadlocks - had em about 10 years now, and I have been adding wool roving dreads in to mine for about the past year or so to add a bit of fullness and color as my dreads are on the thin side. I make the wool roving dreads myself - I did try to put in DE's to start with but they didnt really sit right (which could have been coz I didnt really know what I was doing with the installing bit!!!) but now I just put SE's in as its much easier, I just loop them around the top of my dread twice (I dont make the loop very big coz of my thin dreadies) and thats it. I guess its just about personal preference really but i find it easier to use SE's.

shrijani

Post by shrijani » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:51 pm

I have natural dreadlocks for about 2 years now and always put single ended synthetic dreads between them for extra length and volume. Just poke a hole in the roots of your natural dreadlocks and pull the synthetic dread through it, then take the end of the synthetic dread and pull it through the hole on the other end.

this is me with synthetic dreads through my natural dreads:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/freak.boutique
Freak Boutique - Natural & Fake Dreadlocks

Kitkat

Post by Kitkat » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:51 am

I added length with fake hair to my bfs dreads cos they just refused to grow and they looked soooo feral!!... :i7:
They look sooo much better now, He says that they seem to be more itchy then natural dreads tho. (but im sure he can get over it)....
I found a tut on how to put them in on the last forum, but i cant find it now. Luckily i saved it to the computer. If you like i can send the tut to you. :i2:

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”