Real Dreads & Eczema?

CryptiquesBizarre

Real Dreads & Eczema?

Post by CryptiquesBizarre » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:17 am

Hey guys, I'm coming here first because you're the most knowledgeable people I can think of on the subject of hair, skin advice, etc.

Lately, it seems that my synthetic dread installs become more unbearably itchy. I'm figuring that it's mainly because the synth hair is so very course and I have sensitive skin to begin with. I only leave them in for a week and I don't wash my roots in that timeframe. I have done washed my roots before and it didn't help to calm down the itch.

Since I have such a love for dreads, I've been thinking VERY hard and WAS 100% certain I'd dread my hair once my hair got to a certain length.

The concern I'm having now though, is since it's not recommended to wash your dreads on a constant basis, does it still cause itching from dirt build-up? Does anyone who has dreads have eczema and advice on how to avoid a dry/itchy scalp? Would it be best to discard thoughts on dreading my hair altogether because of the itching/sensitive skin?

I've heard to use tea-tree oil, diluted with water, to help but I have acne and if used in excess, it can exacerbate it and I don't want to have pimples on my head. ><

If there's any advice you ladies can offer, that would be wonderful and thank you greatly! :)

Kajablomst.

Re: Real Dreads & Eczema?

Post by Kajablomst. » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi :)

With real dreads, you can wash them as often as you want, as long as you dry them properly. For itchy scalp, I reccomend knottyboy peppermint shampoo or lush shampoo bar. :) I also use a spray made from aucaluptus oil and water, but you could use tea tree or peppermint or lavender oil instead.

I find that I get more eczema if I wash my hair less, so I do it once / twice a week, and that works fine. My scalp was much worse before I got dreads.. Weird..

Wish you luck! :)

CryptiquesBizarre

Post by CryptiquesBizarre » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:28 am

Ah ok! I keep seeing much advice given to only wash them about once a week so mildew won't collect in the middle of the dreads. I know drying is a huge issue so that was another concern but thank you for providing options on oils and such.

It's odd how a condition caused by dry skin gets worse with more washes and then likes to be a pain in the butt and get bad without many washes either. ><

Thank you for the help. :D

PrettyR4veGirl

Post by PrettyR4veGirl » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:14 am

My dreadies are about 1.5 years old. I wash my hair every other day with a very watered down shampoo and water solution and in the summer I don't worry about drying them much because it's so hot, but in the winter I don't leave the bathroom until they're dryed completely. I have no issues with anything in the middle of my dreads, as I added for hair to my bangs and cut three to four dreads out and checked them. Mine aren't very think though, I'd say they're about the size of a sharpie.

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”