Henna and dreads

Librarynerd

Henna and dreads

Post by Librarynerd » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:21 am

More questions. So many questions:)
I plan on getting real dreads and I really don't like my natural color(ashy brown/blonde) if prefer a deep red/orange. Would using henna be the easiest option for maintaining my roots? Or bleach and SFX? or box dye?

Is maintaining dyed hair color with real dreads just a huge pain and hardly worth it?
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

MissAnthropik

Re: Henna and dreads

Post by MissAnthropik » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:32 pm

I can't answer all those questions, but I can say that I bleach my roots, and it is easier to bleach dreads than it is to bleach normal hair IME. Also, you don't need to do it as often as the rootage doesn't look as bad. Also, i would imagine you wouldn't get as much fading because you don't need to wash your hair as often
telling it like it is!

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:47 pm

i dont bleach my roots anywhere as much as i did when i had non dreaded hair, and i definitly find it easier bleaching/dying dreaded hair.
i dont need to dye it as much a i find since my hair has been dreaded the colours stik to it a lot more, i use directions and wash my hair a few times a week, with undreaded hair i was dying it every other week now im doing it once every few months. i even done a deep clean on them recently with some baking soda wich is supposed to get rid o a lot of the dye, when i rinsed huge amounts of blue came out (when i wash normally none of the dye comes out) and they are still mega blue doesnt look like any of it has come out,
but again as with normal hair and dying everyones hair is different.
i defintly dont think its a huge pain, in fct my hair is so much easier to dye and keep it maintained that colour much more than with non dreaded hair
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:55 am

Thanks so much for your answers. very informative.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

Raetron

Post by Raetron » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:44 am

That's really good to know, I'm growing my hair with the aim of dreading, but I don't think I could cope with my natural coloured hair (I haven't seen that for years!) especially as my hair is usually black... :twisted:

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”