Toner twice?

nyxed

Toner twice?

Post by nyxed » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:56 am

Hi guys!

I recently bleached my hair, it turned kind of orangey-yellowy, so I used a toner and it got less orangey-yellowy and I was pretty pleased. XD But if I want it to be even less yellowy can I just tone it again, or do I have to bleach again first? Is there only so much good a toner will do? If I have to bleach again, how long should I wait?

Thanks!
i hope they cannot see / the limitless potential
living inside of me / to murder everything
i hope they cannot see

i am the great destroyer

LittlePinkFaery

Re: Toner twice?

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:53 am

I am no expert (I have my own thread on my platinum woes!) but toner, in my experience does not build up and change the colour, it effects it once. Sometimes you have to use it once a week to keep the brassiness down ( you can get a toner shampoo). In my limited bleaching experience, you will need to bleach again.

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:47 am

If it's still orangey, you'll have to bleach again :) but not for long!

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:30 pm

stand corrected and happily so! Told you I didn't know much about toners!

nyxed

Post by nyxed » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks for the tips! :) My hair is a pretty pale yellow right now, so maybe the toner will build up...hm. I was thinking of dying over it, anyway, but I'm liking the blonde and now I can't decide. XD
i hope they cannot see / the limitless potential
living inside of me / to murder everything
i hope they cannot see

i am the great destroyer

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:02 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Touch-Silver- ... 913wt_1037

I used the twice weekly toner shampoo of this make (got it in sainsburys) and I was more impressed than the toner I had previously used, so much so I am going to buy the whole range- the toner I bought was pants in comparison!

FollowMe

Post by FollowMe » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:15 am

nyxed wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:57 pm
Thanks for the tips! :) My hair is a pretty pale yellow right now, so maybe the toner that i used for hair toners for blonde hair will build up...hm. I was thinking of dying over it, anyway, but I'm liking the blonde and now I can't decide. XD
Toners are normally simply pigment depositors, essentially a weak non-oxidative dye (so like a vegetable-based semi-permanent dye with a lot less pigment) so exactly like a dye, if you keep using them the pigment will build up and produce a more significant colour change until the hair can't absorb any more. This is why you get "overtoned" platinum blondes who have gone slightly lilac or grey - they've either left their toners on too long or used them too frequently, and gone too far into the ashy side of the spectrum.

Return to “Styling and Color”