How do I get Spiky Hair?

Mn3m0-[5yn34]

How do I get Spiky Hair?

Post by Mn3m0-[5yn34] » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:36 am

Hello!

I would like to be advised on spike hairstyle. This is what I have now:

To get this I followed some Youtube videos: wet the hair, put some hairstyling foam on it, dry it up, backcombed the roots, formed the spikes with a product and finally hairsprayed it all.

But I would like to have the spikes higher around my head, not just downwards.
Would anyone know how to achieve this?
previously known as "Dancefloormagnetized"

Visit my TBM, POWERNOISE, AGGROTECH, DARK ELECTRO & SYNTHPOP Website: http://stompingsquad.ze.cx/frontpage.htm

foximusprime

Re: How do I get Spiky Hair?

Post by foximusprime » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:51 am

I bought Fudge texture spray a few months ago and this may help, i normally use it to boof (technical term!) up the back of my hair when i'm finished styling.
blah blah blah

UrbanHairDesigns

Post by UrbanHairDesigns » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:13 pm

You could backcomb at the roots for structure, then spray with got2b freezing spray. or if you wanted a more flexible hold you could try elastic shaping paste from paul mitchell.
http://www.ModernSophistication.com
Tailor made hair additions

Miss Cydonia

Post by Miss Cydonia » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:17 pm

Im not sure how severe you want the spikes but you could do what the punks do with their liberty spikes- use gelatin?

"the strength of us all could demolish a wall-
but you chose to walk through the door"

*Miss Cydonia-Muse fan since 1999 (keeper of the Arpeggios)*

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:18 pm

yeaahhh good old gelatin :lol: They would be totally rock solid and last all day, but be advised that stuff is a pain to get out afterwards. It turns solid and then you have to soak it for a while to soften it and.. yeah. :lol: I used to be able to put my hair up before a show, get all wet and sweaty, go to sleep, and have it still be motly erect when I woke up.
I probably wouldn't if you wanted more thin, subtle piecey spikes, but if you wanted liberty spikes you could impale people on, then yeah, thats the way to go! :i2:
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:47 am

I'm for the old school punk method too. Plain old gelatin, dissolve a packet in water and heat it up. Let it coll enough that you can touch it. Back comb the heck out of your hair especially at the roots. Hang upside down and dip your hands in the gelatin then run them along the spikes. Still hanging upside, down put a hair dryer on them on high heat to get the gelatin to dry faster.

Boom! Really sturdy spikes. I really like gelatin for this purpose, it's hella cheap and has no odor. Some folks say the gelatin is actually good for your hair too.
I've created 8" liberty spikes with this method.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:31 am

Yeah I think the protein in it is good.. or something. I've definitely heard it too. But, again, I'm not sure if the extreme SPIKES are what you want. From your picture it looks like you're going more for a piecey, layery type deal.

If you want liberty spike hair gelatin is fantastic, but if you want spikes more like this:

I feel like the gelatin would be too heavy. Could be wrong though! I'd love to know how they do hair like that ^
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:52 pm

poxabomination wrote: Image

I feel like the gelatin would be too heavy. Could be wrong though! I'd love to know how they do hair like that ^
To be honest, I feel it has to do with texture and hair type. You do not want to weigh down the hair with too much product, because then it's going to take more heat to get it to stay up, which can result in damaging the hair.

In the past, I've managed to get my hair to 'spike' with watered down Elmer's glue - the blue gel kind - combing into desired style and a hair dryer. You never want to put the heat directly on the hair.

Also, there are texturizers and pommades that would work just as well. Apply according to directions on damp or mostly dry hair and finger style. Spritz lightly with a super hold hair spray and wait for everything to dry.

Overall, you might have to just try a couple of different things and see what works best for you.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

Mn3m0-[5yn34]

Post by Mn3m0-[5yn34] » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks for your help, I'm gonna try some of your suggestions and will tell you how it turned ;)
previously known as "Dancefloormagnetized"

Visit my TBM, POWERNOISE, AGGROTECH, DARK ELECTRO & SYNTHPOP Website: http://stompingsquad.ze.cx/frontpage.htm

Return to “Styling and Color”