Best Toner for Pure White Hair? (US) [image heavy!]

xdnyhair

Best Toner for Pure White Hair? (US) [image heavy!]

Post by xdnyhair » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:49 am

I've been trying for ages to get my hair pure, snow white! I've followed directions pretty well, but I'm not really coming up with results...

I started with really light, bleached hair:

and then I tried Manic Panic's Virgin Snow which did virtually nothing:

and then I used Wella Color Charm in White Lady (T18) with 20 vol. developer... I only left it in for 15 minutes, was this where I went wrong?

And then I did something really stupid and tried leaving Shimmer Lights shampoo in for about an hour which left me with totally silver hair!

Now my plan is to just let the toners fade back to blonde and give it another shot. But I'd like to see if anybody has any suggestions as to which toner to use? Also, should I use 20 volume or 10 volume developer next time? I was pretty startled to see that a decent amount of color had lifted from my brown roots when I used the Wella, so now I'm a little nervous about using 20 again.

Just for good measure, here's some pictures of what I wanted to achieve!

As you can see, I'm not satisfied with just silver... I want pure, BRIGHT white!

Thanks in advance <3

NirvanaMarie

Re: Best Toner for Pure White Hair? (US) [image heavy!]

Post by NirvanaMarie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:30 pm

AG makes an awesome Purple shampoo and conditioner that works wonders :)

pinkkitten

Post by pinkkitten » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:17 pm

I managed to get mine white with a combination of Special Effect toner (totally amazing, although needs to be heabily diluted with conditioner otherwise it goes silver!), used blue shampoo a couple of times a week and occasionally mixed a TINY (I can't stress the word TINY enough) of blue/turquoise dye in my conditioner and left on my hair for about 5 mins before washing out...

It take A LOT of maintainance to keep it white, and I ruined my hair SO badly... However, I totally would do it again!!

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:19 pm

I think it looks pretty white as it is!

As you want it whiter though, doing as Madii says is a good idea, you can tone it in a few washes with a purple shampoo, thats what I do. If It do it too many times too close together, it will go silvery though. I haven't tried the Bonacure one but I use L'Oréal Professionnel Serie Expert Silver Shampoo for Grey or White Hair and its the best shampoo I've tried. I usually use it straight after bleaching and it does the job :)

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:02 am

I get my hair that colour using BonaCure. Best thing I ever did, buying that stuff.

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:39 am

Now I want to try it...I have so many purple shampoos though :lol:

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:59 am

I don't know about the L'Oréal one, but mine has all sorts of keratin crap in it which is supposed to help restore structure with continual use.

xdnyhair

Post by xdnyhair » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:00 am

Lorny wrote:I get my hair that colour using BonaCure. Best thing I ever did, buying that stuff.
What product by BonaCure?

Miss Cydonia

Post by Miss Cydonia » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:18 pm

answer-
Madii wrote:. After that you'll want to stick to using heavily tinted toning shampoos; one with a very strong violet pigment is Schwarzkopf's Bonacure Color Save Silver Shampoo. If that doesn't keep you looking pearly white I don't know what will.

"the strength of us all could demolish a wall-
but you chose to walk through the door"

*Miss Cydonia-Muse fan since 1999 (keeper of the Arpeggios)*

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:21 am

i know this is old, but the reason your toners werent working is beacuse you were using 20 vol with them. for toners, the highest you really ever should go is a 5 vol, as your only trying to deposit color. alsooo. you have to bleach your hair even lighter than you already have for that white white color. wich can be pretty detrimental to the health of your hair. you want it to be a little lighter than the inside of a banana, and then tone it. my personal favourite formula for ultra blonde/white hair is 1/2 oz redken violet : 1/2 redken prosseing solution : 1oz shampoo. mix it in a color bottle, work it in, wait about a min, then rinse it right back out. you have to be careful you get it in and out quick or you'll turn violet.

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:06 pm

My shampoo is so good it's made a copper patch yellow after a couple of weeks of shampoos!

I think you should stick with silver, cuz it looks wicked.

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:52 pm

The silver is lovely XD
Bit of a hijack (sorry!) but has anyone tried matrix so silver?

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:36 am

yes. love it. its really good for upkeep but i wouldnt try and use it as a toner.

XxDigitalDolliexX

Post by XxDigitalDolliexX » Sun May 29, 2011 9:15 am

pinkkitten wrote:I managed to get mine white with a combination of Special Effect toner (totally amazing, although needs to be heabily diluted with conditioner otherwise it goes silver!), used blue shampoo a couple of times a week and occasionally mixed a TINY (I can't stress the word TINY enough) of blue/turquoise dye in my conditioner and left on my hair for about 5 mins before washing out...

It take A LOT of maintainance to keep it white, and I ruined my hair SO badly... However, I totally would do it again!!

how blonde was your hair bleached before you did this?
He who rules the spice,Rules the world!
Let the spice flow
-Dune

Come say hi!
lil bit o'bouts me!
Buy my Stuff!

Blondie337

Post by Blondie337 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:36 pm

I would use a claryfing shampoo to get the gray out! Once that's removed you might just end up with close to what you are looking for!! You can also mix conditioner with the light purple manic panic. When I was platinum it took me a couple months of using the shimmer lights for awhile. I'm actually temped to leave it on for an hour like you cause my hair is so brassy right now!! Good Luck and hope you can find what you are looking for!! I'm not sure what you can do?? cause only a gold would help the gray and you don't want to go backwards!! if you do end up finding a toner you want to try i would try just a 10 volume cause your hair is so light it will soak color fast!! My friend just turned her roots a gray color from a toner & 20 volume & just kept washing her hair like crazy till it faded & used John Frieda go Blonder spray and now her hair is pretty much Platinum!!

crisgryan

Post by crisgryan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:48 am

This is a hard question!
But the main secret to having WHITE hair is to literally have it almost white without toners.
You can try using VANISH color remover and not only does it remove color pigment from artificial dyes but it also helps with your natural ones. Before I would use Manic Panic Virgin White on almost dry hair, and it would have to be at the pale yellow state because with this one if there is any yellow in your hair it will hardly do anything.
Now I just have been continuing experimenting but for purple shampoo-wise I've had good experience with Framesi violet shampoo, 1:1 ratio with your regular shampoo and leave it in for 30 seconds everday/every other day.
Framesi 9 pearl color can also be used as a toner, just mix it with 10 volume on towel dry hair and leave it in for a few minutes.

VANISH + MP:VS

Just stay away from blue based stuff if you have no orange in your hair, blue makes it look more silver.
Clairol 323D is silver looking and it fades real quick. Wella kind of works, I would say that the Princess Blonde isn't bad just make sure not to leave it in too long and follow up with a violet shampoo day-to-day.
If your not far from pale-blonde hair just use 10-20volume to lift your hair first to avoid necessary damage.

Miss Cydonia

Post by Miss Cydonia » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:57 pm

I just have to say- the original post was a long time ago and Im pretty sure the question is irrevelvant to her now. She possibly has even changed her hair colour since this lol

"the strength of us all could demolish a wall-
but you chose to walk through the door"

*Miss Cydonia-Muse fan since 1999 (keeper of the Arpeggios)*

Return to “Styling and Color”