WANTED: Definitive "how to" for bleaching hair white

kaned_ferret

WANTED: Definitive "how to" for bleaching hair white

Post by kaned_ferret » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:18 pm

.. or as close to as is humanly possible. It's not that I don't know how to go about the process - I've been doing it for years and have only ever had one fateful "argh all my hair has snapped off" incident :lol: It's just I was trying to explain it to a friend who's having problems getting her OH's hair to lift beyond 613. Anyways it got me thinking we could probably do with a definitive "get your hair white" compilation - I did a search but couldn't find anything like that so hope I've not been really retarded and missed it!

So I guess what I really want is people's opinions on:

- The best bleaching products to use (powder brands/volume of peroxide/cream vs liquid peroxide)
- Whether or not to use clingfilm/add extra heat
- how long to leave on for (or rather the maximum you SHOULD leave it on for in one sitting lol
- The benefits or not of bleach baths? (are they only good for helping to remove previously deposited dyes?)
- The best toners to use
- how far you can "push it" (i.e some bits of my hair will go white whereas others refuse to comply!) - this probably includes how long you need to leave between bleaching stages and what products you should use in the mean time?

i think that's everything, so opinions please?

Nanou2

Re: WANTED: Definitive "how to" for bleaching hair white

Post by Nanou2 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:51 pm

There is so much said about bleaching already.

Maybe all the bleaching posts should be deleted and a sticky bleaching thread should be made.

guest123

Post by guest123 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:33 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:19 am

Nanou2 wrote:There is so much said about bleaching already.

Maybe all the bleaching posts should be deleted and a sticky bleaching thread should be made.
I think it would probably be a good idea to have it all in one place as it get's asked about a lot :)
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:45 pm

stinamoo wrote: I'm really interested in something I've read on another forum about coconut oil applied as a pre-treatment lessening peroxide damage so I'll be trying that for sure (it looks like it has science to back it up as well!).
Well the point of the pre-treatments are to make the hair as string as possible before going through the bleaching process, which doesn't limit the damage, it just means that stronger hair can withstand the damage for longer.

I really don't recommend anyone trying to bleach to white (as in straight bleach to white without toning) unless their hair is a base 8 or up. A 7, depending on what tone might be ok, but my hair is a 6 and it is pretty much buggered when I bleach straight to white. Its far better to put up with the arse of toning for hours on banana coloured hair than doing the major damage. Especially when it comes to bleaching regrowth e.g when you retouch regrowth there isn't a hope in hell that you'll get bleach ONLY on the virgin hair. So any hair bleached to white and in serious need of some structure will just snap off at if even the smallest particles of bleach are able to break down the structure of the hair even more.

-The best bleaching products to use (powder brands/volume of peroxide/cream vs liquid peroxide): All bleaches and peroxides are the same with a different name. With regards to liquid or cream, they both end up the same consistency anyway!

- Whether or not to use clingfilm/add extra heat: This basically speeds up the time. It doesn't make for a better blonde. It's the difference between waiting an hour for it to develop or half an hour. Only use heat when using clingfilm as this holds in the moisture. When bleach dries it stops developing. A blast of heat on developing bleach for one minute equals 2 minutes of development time. So basically it cuts the time in half.

- how long to leave on for (or rather the maximum you SHOULD leave it on for in one sitting lol: This depends on the colour you are starting with. A base 8 can lift to a white blonde easily within an hour. At a 6, I have to wait about 2-3 with clingfilm and short blasts of heat, but again, I don't recommend bleaching to white, only toning on this dark hair. Someone with a base of 5 or lower should just bleach for a couple of hours and leave it a couple of days, depending on how the hair is feeling. A lot of bleaching is down to just thinking about the hair's condition.

The benefits or not of bleach baths? (are they only good for helping to remove previously deposited dyes?): These aren't particularly better than straight bleach since they both do the same thing, only the shampoo in the mixture helps get the cuticles open really quick and it just means its easier to see the colour change as it happens slower.

- The best toners to use: Personally, I love the Superdrug 8.1 shampoo toner. It comes in a shampoo bottle and you can get 3 or 4 applications on mid hair easy. I don't really think anything at all of Directions SFX and Co toners.

how far you can "push it" (i.e some bits of my hair will go white whereas others refuse to comply!) - this probably includes how long you need to leave between bleaching stages and what products you should use in the mean time?: This relates to the same factors in "How long to leave it for". It all depends on whether you use protein treatments or deep conditioners, and how long you leave between bleaches. The more red in the hair (the darker it is or if it is a strong ginger/red), the harder it will be to achieve a light blonde, and will take a lot more blood, sweat and tears!

Ermmm, so that's my take on the lot. It isn't the gospel there, but it's always advice I give to clients and what not too. :)
I am neither blue nor red. I am a proud recruit of the Indecisive Army!

guest123

Post by guest123 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:20 pm

*deleted*
*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kleed

Post by kleed » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:00 am

Dear Lorny,

<3
at the OP just listen to what she says,

I've been white ( with sometimes a splash of brown or whatnot) for 4 years.

The only thing I would add to that is, if it burns
wash it out.

I've only burnt my scalp once , and that was because I forgot I had burnt my scalp with a hair iron before ( yeah I was real smart)

But seriously? Everything Lorny said, pushing your hair, well lets just say I am perfectly content to have yellow bannana hair for a few days rather than bleach even more when I know toner will do the trick.

But on terms of products

oh lord I've had em all.
Now in Italy , I used a 40vol kit that was called Cady I beleive, it worked like a trick , and was amazing, sadly im no longer in italy so iive had to make do.

NowManic Panic, make a great Flashlighting kit BUT at 15 bucks a pop needing two kits to do my head it was becoming way to expensive for me,

Sidenote: they no longer sell 40vol peroxide in ontario. Not in drugmarts anyway , and I was hardpressed to find some in the beauty supply stores in the city, this has been about a year now, I believe they no longer sell 40vol to the public without you being liscensed or in a specialty shop.

I've used the manic panic 30vol and 40vol kits and achieved success with both , and really like how it comes with the mixing bowl and mixing brush.

Icecream
not the food, the hair brand.
SUCKS.
I used their bleaching products and it was THE worst thing ever waste of money. Didnt even do anything!

Garnier
I have used their bleaching kits i think theyre called XXL or something? Either way theres two bleaching kits, have used them both and , well its ok , but your better off paying the two bucks more for the manic panic kit.

L'Oreal Store Kits

same as above.

I've since started using just straight bleach and developers bought separately, I had better access to them after my course in esthetics and hairstyling in high school , and I've NEVER looked back.

I've been using Roux bleach packs , with Jean Phillipe peroxide cream , and its been working a charm even though its only 30 vol.

I recently bought Jerome Russell bleach packs and while I havent used them on myself , I did do a friends hair with the Jean Philippe creme , and it took her black , black as night hair, ( it was a mix of dyed and natural , and her hair is quite curly) right to white , which surprised me , as I had made a toning conditioner mix up for her, but her hairs been fine , hasn't lost its curl , or gone stringy, and its quite a sight to see her with white bangs to a black afro, really stunning!

I also found, White Magic peroxide which is 40vol, it was at the back of a shelf in a place thats being reno-ed and im in quebec now too so that might be it, still cant find other brands or manic panic in 40 :(

Bleach Baths

I know there are tons of ways to do them , but personally, I think you have to start out using someone else's methods, then build on it yourself, i've had it work on normal hair, dyed hair , bleached hair etc.

I've added water to my bleach and peroxide mixtures

I've done it normally, but on wet hair,

I know one time I added water and shampoo to the mixture and it lathered real nice, and worked too.
Shampoo's and Conditioner's and products

Light Blue Shade

Be wary of this , you cannot use it more than two or three times a week, now I don't care about my hair looking violet, but I care about the fact that this got pulled from teh shelves for a year across canada, and then came back , it had to have it's formula changed ( ONLY THE SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER) However the new kind is fine in my books, works great and will combat brassyness and yellow. The conditioner is lush too , it works really well to hydrate and combat the brassy or yellow.

I;ve slept with it on my head all night before and had white hair the next day!

Roux

Theres a mousse they sell for curls, and i use the white minx shade, it works well as a curl definer and it adds purple so it can combat brassyness aswell, i love it , washes out well.

They also sell a colour rinse , think of it as a setting lotion? almost like a liquid hairspray, not like a gel but still pliable?

John Frieda

All the sheer blonde products.
End of story, they dont impact your white, and they help restore your hair after bleaching!

Pantene Expressions
I've opened up their one for grey and white and its the exact same as the LIght Blue Shade, but I don';t want silicone on my hair , so I shan't be using it unless i really have to.

I cant think of anything else,
I blame all the bleaching ive done over the years

OH I KNOW

never ever put your nose near a bowl of bleach powder

one of the many reasons I can no longer smell well.
Must get back to posting.
And not lurking
Pirates don't lurk, they CONQUER

kleed

Post by kleed » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:24 am

Madii wrote:
kleed wrote:Roux

Theres a mousse they sell for curls, and i use the white minx shade, it works well as a curl definer and it adds purple so it can combat brassyness aswell, i love it , washes out well.

They also sell a colour rinse , think of it as a setting lotion? almost like a liquid hairspray, not like a gel but still pliable?
If you're talking of the Revlon Roux Fanci-full Rinses, I've never seen them sold as a setting lotion, only as water-rinseable colourants? Do they actually give hold to the hair then? http://www.capitalhairandbeauty.co.uk/c ... iew/705702
I didn't know it was made by revlon!
I tried the link but it didn't work for me :( Ive had ones that said colour rinse, and setting, either way , there's been a couple of times where it's almost been the same as hairspraying the jeebus out of my hair when i use it, made finger waves alot easier, sadly I've run out of most of it :(
Must get back to posting.
And not lurking
Pirates don't lurk, they CONQUER

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:47 pm

I use Quick Blue. It lifts 5 - 7 levels in one sitting. Definately have after treatments like keratin or protein reconstructors. Make sure it actually repairs the hair cuticles rather than smooth them down. I use Ion or Aphogee products.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

nysstique

Post by nysstique » Thu May 13, 2010 11:54 pm

If you have a sensitive scalp at all, and access to a beauty supply shop, I strongly recommend that you get a bleach that is specifically for use on the scalp. These products work just as well as standard off-the-scalp bleaches, except they contains lipids and oils which will protect both your scalp and your hair.

Just a bit of additional advice... for getting an even tone, it's important to analyze the "zones" of your hair and their condition. If you have previously dyed hair, especially if it is dark, it's going to take a lot longer to lighten than your natural hair. When applying the color, do not apply to the roots first. The roots are a hot zone, and the heat from your scalp will cause this area to process very quickly. Apply to the darkest dyed areas first, and then through the rest of the shaft and ends, and come back to that 1/2" of roots once you've let that process a bit.

Using a processing cap is a good idea because the bleach will not work if it dries out. This is especially important if you plan to use a heat source.

Once you've got that inside-of-a-banana color, you'll want to rinse and tone. At a beauty supply store you'll want to look for a toner or a semipermanent color. There are different brands, but look for a platinum toner or a silver or blue based light (level 10) semipermanent color. There are a lot of different toners depending on what hue you want your hair to have, but platinum will bring it closest to white. Use a violet shampoo every few washes to keep it from turning brassy, indulge in deep conditioning, and enjoy :)
--the silly devil--

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Mon May 17, 2010 1:32 pm

What shade of blonde/yellow/banana should the hair be before using a toner?

Will a toner tone down this colour to white? -

Or even lighter still? Platinum?

I'm unsure as to what a toner can do!

I found this helpful image too..

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Mon May 17, 2010 3:48 pm

It should do but it will turn yellow again quickly - it depends how much upkeep you want.

I only need to tone my hair about every 4th wash...when it was that yellow I had to do it every wash - even with a more expensive toner.

* Queen of Tangents*

Yuddith

Post by Yuddith » Tue May 18, 2010 2:29 am

If you want to keep the yellow color out of white, bleached hair as long as possible, try to keep it up with silver shampoo (typo?).

I googled it, this is an example: http://www.ciao.co.uk/Schwarzkopf_Touch ... ew_5151658

Can't find any more sites in english atm, the browser at work only shows dutch results for some reason... :?

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Tue May 18, 2010 9:58 am

Yuddith wrote:I
I googled it, this is an example: http://www.ciao.co.uk/Schwarzkopf_Touch ... ew_5151658
I use this once a week. Works very well and its cheap :D

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Tue May 18, 2010 9:44 pm

I do not understand my hair at all. It is the colour of the insides of a banana, so I left that silver shampoo on for 20 minutes as I want a lilac tone, and not a thing has changed. It's exactly the same colour.

What am I doing wrong here?

sleepswthghosts

Post by sleepswthghosts » Tue May 18, 2010 9:54 pm

Bomber wrote:I do not understand my hair at all. It is the colour of the insides of a banana, so I left that silver shampoo on for 20 minutes as I want a lilac tone, and not a thing has changed. It's exactly the same colour.

What am I doing wrong here?
From what I understand, you'll need to use an actual toner [which is hair dye, essentially] to get it the tone you want and then use the silver shampoo to maintain it.

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Tue May 18, 2010 10:20 pm

I have used toner. I've left various toners on my hair for up to an hour in attempts to get my hair nearer to white.

Nada.

Vex88

Post by Vex88 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:18 am

kleed wrote: I recently bought Jerome Russell bleach packs and while I havent used them on myself , I did do a friends hair with the Jean Philippe creme , and it took her black , black as night hair, ( it was a mix of dyed and natural , and her hair is quite curly) right to white , which surprised me , as I had made a toning conditioner mix up for her, but her hairs been fine , hasn't lost its curl , or gone stringy, and its quite a sight to see her with white bangs to a black afro, really stunning!

is this the Jerome russell b blonde stuff?? cant find the Jean philippe cream :/ do they sell it in the UK?
Kirsty x
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
---------------------------------------
Facebook
Etsy!
DysfunctionDesigns on Facebook
Artfire!

hellsbells

Post by hellsbells » Wed May 19, 2010 8:21 am

It's very strange that the touch of silver didn't lilac your hair :shock: When I ran out of that I used to use a tiny (miniscule) drop of Special FX Blue Velvet and Directions Flamingo Pink mixed with conditioner to get this sort of colour and left it on for a few minutes. You have to make sure you mix it really well though - or you'll end up with interesting streaks :lol:

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed May 19, 2010 9:06 am

I swear by Superdrug's toner - If I leave it on for longer than 5-10 minutes my hair goes a weird grey purple colour :lol:

* Queen of Tangents*

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Wed May 19, 2010 9:14 am

ScarletLady wrote:I swear by Superdrug's toner - If I leave it on for longer than 5-10 minutes my hair goes a weird grey purple colour :lol:
Yeah, mine too! I use that and A touch of silver, depending on what I feel like :lol:

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed May 19, 2010 9:20 am

Plus the price is just unbelievable :lol:
A 97p bottle lasts me about a month!

* Queen of Tangents*

Vex88

Post by Vex88 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:18 am

Superdrug dont seem to have the toner on the website.. :/
Kirsty x
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
---------------------------------------
Facebook
Etsy!
DysfunctionDesigns on Facebook
Artfire!

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Wed May 19, 2010 10:21 am

You're best of going to a store and buying it :)

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed May 19, 2010 10:21 am

No they don't sell it on there, I've looked before.

It's a cool effects wash in wash out hair dye in a silver bottle - shade 8.1
They should have it in store :)

* Queen of Tangents*

Return to “Tutorials - Everything Else”