Can you make your own white toner?

Nanou2

Can you make your own white toner?

Post by Nanou2 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:23 pm

So the white toner you buy is a weak purple pigmented dye?

Can you just buy a purple dye and mix it with condition to make loads of white toner?

I know you can buy the shampoo and conditioners which have some pigment in to take the brassyness out. But If you could do it this way you could probably get more for your money.

Is it possible? Or am I just being silly?

VixenSingsBlack

Re: Can you make your own white toner?

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:28 pm

That's what I do! Ultraviolet by MP in my 10 minute leave-in conditioner. Tada! My brassy yellow highlights magically turn platinum.

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:34 pm

It depends though. You have to have a proper purple colour. VSB made a post one time about how she mixes her toner, and you have to get it right or it could just be a waste of money and not work as well!
I am neither blue nor red. I am a proud recruit of the Indecisive Army!

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:36 pm

True that Lorny! Now if I could only remember my own recipe... I'm pretty sure I have it written down somewhere. Here it is! I'll quote myself
VixenSingsBlack wrote:Yes, that is the Manic Panic color Ultra Violet I speak of. I personally use Garnier Fructis Fortifying Deep Conditioner Sleek and Shine 3 Minute Masque for the conditioner part--but any masque-like conditioner will work. I also love Aussie 3 Minute Miracle deep conditioner as well.

Because my hair is pretty long, I mixed 1/2 cup of conditioner with 1 table spoon of Ultra Violet and stir very well--that mix produces a very bright lavender colored conditioner. Then I get in the shower and shampoo my hair normally. I squeezed out excess water, and applied the conditioner, starting at my tips, moving toward my roots. I continued massaging it into the hair for about 3 minutes. Then I rinsed thoroughly.

Warnings:
The first time I tried this I had too much Ultra Violet in the conditioner. I only left the conditioner on for a few moments and wound up with a purple bath tub and grey-nasty hair.

The second time I tried this I didn't have enough Ultra Violet in the conditioner. I left it on for 3 minutes and saw no change in my hair.

The third time is when I added 1 table spoon to half a cup and wound up with nice results.

Because you're only doing your fringe/bangs, you'll obviously need less than 1/2 a cup of conditioner. What you should really concentrate on is getting that bright lavender colored conditioner. A true lavender is pretty pale and pathetic looking--you don't want that. Too much Ultra Violet remains uber-purple bluey in the conditioner--you don't want that either. When the conditioner turns bright lavender, that's what you want.

THIS IS THE BRIGHT LAVENDER
THIS IS TOO MUCH ULTRA VIOLET
THIS IS NOT ENOUGH ULTRA VIOLET

I first tried this because I know that traditional platinum toners are purple based to cut the yellow. Red cuts a green tone. And blue cuts a reddish tone. From dying my hair previously with Ultra Violet, I knew that as it faded it made my hair turn grey--that is essentially what you want a platinum toner to do. The very cool purple neutralizes the very warm yellow/orange. And tada, you've got white hair! If you look at the Virgin Snow toner offered by Manic Panic, it is a purpley color. I just figured by mixing my own, I'd get more conditioner for less money :)

Good luck with it all! I found that this kept my hair toned for about 10-14 days--but I wash my hair every day.

JadeRachelle

Post by JadeRachelle » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:35 am

I've unintentionally toned my hair with MP Mystic Heather (a lighter purple colour).
The purple didn't take well to my hair and once I'd washed it a couple of times the purple completely faded out leaving my hair toned and white.
I intend on mixing it with conditioner and using it as toner once my hair is back to blonde because it worked quite well.

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:10 am

VixenSingsBlack wrote:
THIS IS THE BRIGHT LAVENDER
THIS IS TOO MUCH ULTRA VIOLET
THIS IS NOT ENOUGH ULTRA VIOLET
:lol: I like it

Will be giving this a go when the time is right. I need to wait another week before I bleach again.

Thanks!

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:17 am

:lol: Yay, that was about the best method I could think of to get my point across... teeheehee!

kaned_ferret

Post by kaned_ferret » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:11 am

I was actually going to write up a tute for this because I was chuffed with the way I cracked it for myself :lol: I just filled an empty hair gel pot with my conditioner and added a SMIDGE of SFX deep purple (like maybe 3mm) and mixed it in, voila! toner that conditions and doesn't cost an arm and a leg! I found the deep purple is JUST right for doing this with :D

Return to “Styling and Color”