First roving fall - pics

Critical observations about your technique for installations, wear or use.
Forum rules
1. Stay on topic. Be specific and to the point.
2. Be polite. Flaming and personal attacks may result in a ban.
hairykiter

First roving fall - pics

Post by hairykiter » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Hiya :)

So I've been making the odd roving dread here and there, playing around a bit. Threw them together into a fall t'other day, a la MissAnthropik, and whacked them on my head!
Plan is to make way more so I can have two falls, or install them at some point.

I know they're not perfect, I have a mix of thickness/solidity/smoothness going on but as I see it, these are a learning experience. The brighter blue likes to develop cracks more than the darker blue or the purple, not sure why but it's irritating. My last half-dozen or so have all turned out the length I wanted them and almost exactly the same thickness (and uniform along the length) so I'm getting somewhere I think ;) the're all DE's btw. I have a few things I still want to try, like transitions and wraps and other fancy-pants stuffs but this is what I've done so far.
Not actually sure how many I've got now, I'd have to take the fall apart and count 'em. Mostly plain solid colour, two twisty/blendy buggers (urg tedious to make and didn't turn out amazing) a couple of random embellishments and one or two braids. Couple of harlequins in there somewhere too, they're not brilliant tho. I also found out braiding them when wet makes them kinky lol.

Any and all comments/critique/advice welcome :D

On to the pictures!!

Whole fall

On ma heid

Closeup

More here
(sorry if the image quality isn't amazing btw)

I'm a massive dread noob btw, so feel free to point out things that might be really obvious. Like "you're wearing it backwards" or whatever ;)

Monique_marion_may

Re: First roving fall - pics

Post by Monique_marion_may » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Spikey spikey!
They look good hun!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:52 pm

2 would be better ;) Also, tying the fall a little higher up on your head might be an idea, as it's quite far back atm. Personally, aim for smack bang at the top of your head, it'd fall a bit better & give more coverage.

the candycane ones, although tedious to make do look really nice.

IDK if the spiked ones were deliberate or not, but have you tried wearing the fall the other way round so they don't stick up?

Delic has a tute for falls too that might help otherwise: http://delicstutorials.livejournal.com/644.html#cutid1
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

hairykiter

Post by hairykiter » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:10 pm

lol yeah the mega spiky ones are not totally deliberate, they're just a bit thicker and more solid than most of the others (think they're a couple I needlefelted the living daylights out of to try to get rid of cracks) so they don't hang well.

Thanks for that tutorial, I'll give it a go :)

Roughly how many dreads would you recommend in a fall? (either for a single like I have atm or for a pair like I'm planning?)

ChaosFollows

Post by ChaosFollows » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:28 pm

They're looking really good to me :) Agree about wearing it higher though, will probably make your neck ache there! Trust me xx
"The attention just encourages her."

My Etsy Shop: ChaosFollows
My Facebook Page: ChaosFollows on Facebook

Return to “Hair Critique”