My First and Second Self-Installs EVER!

Critical observations about your technique for installations, wear or use.
Forum rules
1. Stay on topic. Be specific and to the point.
2. Be polite. Flaming and personal attacks may result in a ban.
xdnyhair

My First and Second Self-Installs EVER!

Post by xdnyhair » Sat May 21, 2011 5:10 pm

*accidentally posted this in show-offs, sorry if you saw that!!

This is long overdue, but I wanted to post my first/second EVER self-install! I'm really happy with the results, especially the second time around. I'm sorry all I have are photobooth pictures :(

Here's my first attempt:

As you can see I made a pretty bad mistake and got kind of mullety. I remedied that with doing some layering and then keeping it curled most of the time:

Here's my second try, after I learned my lesson and thankfully had enough hair left to fix it!

I installed two like 4" pieces a few inches above my ears on either side and now I think it looks a LOT better. Unfortunately the color didn't match 100%, but I didn't think it was all that bad.

Here it is after layering it some more (with some white clip-ins for fun):

A little choppy and scene but whatever, at least it looks a little more natural! EVERYONE who commented on my hair was super surprised to learn that I'm actually only shoulder-length, so I'm really proud of myself.

Here's my natural hair, if you're curious (you can see the extensions dying in the background!):

This has been my first glue-in (first I used LG but for some reason, on the second install, the bottle of LG I used was different and a lot thinner and wouldn't even hold for a whole day, so I had to switch to latex) and so far so good. It's really great to have complete control over the extensions and not have to pay $400! The only thing is, I think the quality of hair I used wasn't too great so it's been a little hard to deal with. I think if I switch brands I'll be happier.

Constructive criticism and advice on a new hair brand greatly appreciated! Thanks for looking <3

IKickShins

Re: My First and Second Self-Installs EVER!

Post by IKickShins » Sat May 21, 2011 7:32 pm

Love it! The styling you did to cover up the mullet worked really well. I assumed they were two different installs until I read the whole post :)

What brand of hair are you using? I like wearing Black N Gold ECW. It's 80-90% remy so it's not as expensive as 100% remy hair, but it holds up really well.
xdnyhair wrote:This has been my first glue-in (first I used LG but for some reason, on the second install, the bottle of LG I used was different and a lot thinner and wouldn't even hold for a whole day, so I had to switch to latex) and so far so good.
You might have better luck with Liquid Gold now. They changed their formula a couple times in.. I want to say 2008? 2009? Something like that. The first change was AWFUL and didn't hold for more than a day or two, so then they switched to another new formula. The current formula is pretty decent. So if you bought the bottle during the change or got it from a shop that had old stock, you might have ended up with the bad formula.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

xdnyhair

Post by xdnyhair » Mon May 23, 2011 12:37 am

Wow thank you so much!

I did some research on ECW and it looks like a great deal, I'll probably try that for my next install. How long does yours usually last? And does it take dye well? The kind I'm using is super yellow and goes ratty at the ends after only one wash so I feel like anything would be an improvement haha.

Oooh that makes a lot of sense about the Liquid Gold! The first install held up really well so I was really disappointed the second time around. It was a little goopy but apparently safer to use in terms of removal and easier to get out of extensions.

convenientlust

Post by convenientlust » Mon May 23, 2011 5:11 am

wow, i like!!
the curls look nice and so does the second install :)

emmalooxx

Post by emmalooxx » Mon May 23, 2011 8:18 am

love the curly pic and the second install :)
<3 "I don't consider myself to be a pessimist, I see a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain...And yet I feel soaked to the skin. " - Leonard Cohen

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Mon May 23, 2011 3:10 pm

very pretty! the curls are beautiful and the white clip in with it is cute

UrbanHairDesigns

Post by UrbanHairDesigns » Mon May 23, 2011 4:38 pm

I love the white and pink together. It gives such a soft look.
http://www.ModernSophistication.com
Tailor made hair additions

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Mon May 23, 2011 8:18 pm

xdnyhair wrote:Wow thank you so much!

I did some research on ECW and it looks like a great deal, I'll probably try that for my next install. How long does yours usually last? And does it take dye well? The kind I'm using is super yellow and goes ratty at the ends after only one wash so I feel like anything would be an improvement haha.

Oooh that makes a lot of sense about the Liquid Gold! The first install held up really well so I was really disappointed the second time around. It was a little goopy but apparently safer to use in terms of removal and easier to get out of extensions.
The longest I've ever worn it was 3-4 weeks (once for 3 weeks straight, and one set that I reused and had in for 2 weeks each time). It holds up really well.

It takes dye easily. Sometimes lighter colors (SFX Joyride, Manic Panic Atomic Turquoise, etc) need to be dyed twice to look right, but anything else will work fine the first time around.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

KittyKassdreads

Post by KittyKassdreads » Mon May 23, 2011 8:45 pm

You did really well for installing them on yourself!
It looks so pretty!

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Mon May 23, 2011 9:26 pm

very cute, love the colours x
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

xdnyhair

Post by xdnyhair » Mon May 23, 2011 10:03 pm

Thanks so much everybody!

RainbowCupcake

Post by RainbowCupcake » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:07 am

The first one, yes, they did come out mullety but still cute! Second was ah-may-zing <3 This makes me want to put mine back in.
Have you really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Return to “Hair Critique”