{Request} many things (read on..)

insanityprincess

{Request} many things (read on..)

Post by insanityprincess » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:14 pm

hey everyone!

I'm working on my first cyberlox wig ever :lol: and I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing a few different techniques so I thought I'd request from you ladies.

1. Saran Wrap (not bubble wrap) around things like grid paper, synthetic dreads as well as more saran wrap and I was wondering if heating it up would shrink it a bit, if thats the best way to go about sealing them a bit and any other ideas about saran wrap dreads.

2. Aluminium (tin) Foil Anything regarding this would be appreciated. e.g. rolling styles, what to wrap with it, bad ideas, previous attempts.

3. Foam Rivets w/o a riveter. I have no idea about this, anything would be great.

4. Plastic string, what can you do with it? What looks super cool? =)

5. Fabric Dreads, I have some old shirts that I'm thinking would be cool wrapped around stuffing or synthies. Opinions?

thanks for your time =) p.s. this wig won't be for wearing, but entered in an art show themed on light refraction, in case you were wondering about my strange supplies.

Would love any other ideas for see-through or reflective surfaces I can add!
Can I pay you in AWESOMENESS?

rivetlicker_

Re: {Request} many things (read on..)

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:48 pm

I have no clue what saran wrap is, so I won't comment! :P

I'd rather not use aluminium because of the lightning rod factor xD

Rivets aren't actually used in foam, otherwise you'd have a tonne of things poking out the other end and annoying the crap out of you! (Rivets (most commonly, poprivets) are permanent sheet metal fasteners but have different applications too). What you normally see are called eyelets or grommets. These things. Anywho, I have discovered that foam does NOT like to be punched out with anything other than a hole punch. Most hole punches are 1/4". I bought a tonne of gorgeous eyelets, but they were about 3/16" or something so my hole punch was too big and the tool I use is only one size, 1/4"! Bastards haha. I use something similar to this. I got it off eBay from some American seller with 200 silver *1/4"* eyelets! Oh and the difference between eyelets and grommets. Eyelets don't have anything on the back, so on the back of the foam, you will see where it has spread out and dug in. Grommets have a backing and it's more reinforced than an eyelet, hence why they're used in shoes, clothing and corsets :)

With "plastic string", you have several options. Rexlace is the most common. It's flat and because it's plastic, it can be curled or straightened with hot water! Tut here. There's also smooth tubing, it's like jelly. There's flat jelly lacing too! There's S'getti, Rexlace's round cousin. Scoubies/Loopie Cord are cheap and fun to make lanyards with, but is a lot more shiny and smells funny compared to Rexlace, S'getti and smooth tubing, well, the cheaper ones you find at variety stores smell anyway. Just tie them into the wig, but don't use too much, it can get freaking heavy!

Tulle looks great wrapped around dreads. Why don't you try some funky coloured yarns?

Hope this helps!

mourningpoetic

Post by mourningpoetic » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:16 am

LOL Lara, saran wrap is plastic that you put over your food to put in the fridge. (Saran Wrap is just a brand name)

~.:I am WOMAN hear me RAWR!:.~

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:26 am

Ohhh, you mean GLAD wrap xD

Glad is the brand here. We also call it cling wrap.

guest123

Post by guest123 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:02 am

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SyNNy+SuKKupyre

Post by SyNNy+SuKKupyre » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:57 pm

In the bubble wrap hair thread viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8355 there are links for colored film {I call it cellophane} and for colored bubble wrap
Psylita Sukkubus
Keeping things uniquely odd since '91

Cyber_princess

Post by Cyber_princess » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:42 pm

about the plastic stuff, I use this

I cut stripes of it...

I don't if it will help you

necrokitten

Post by necrokitten » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:05 pm

Omg you can get Dexter saran wrap? Sweet. :lol:
mourningpoetic wrote:LOL Lara, saran wrap is plastic that you put over your food to put in the fridge. (Saran Wrap is just a brand name)

UnaLuna

Post by UnaLuna » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:14 pm

I haven't ever personally used saran wrap, but since it's so long, I could totally see using it. Maybe rip off a chunk, cut it in three strips (the long way), sorta let it roll up and stick together, and then braid it? You could slip it through existing dreads or braids first (if you're using a cheap wig as a base, or something) and then braid it. Or what about doing twists with one part hair and one part saran wrap?

Return to “Cyberlox, Foam, Tubing & ?!@#!”