Styling a Bride of Frankenstein wig

Bomber

Styling a Bride of Frankenstein wig

Post by Bomber » Tue May 10, 2011 12:08 am

So all commercially available BoF costume wigs are TERRIBLE and I am a stickler for authenticity so I am looking for potential ways of styling a Bride of Frankenstein wig using a base wig. I have found what appears to be a suitable base wig on ebay and there are plentiful tutorials on how to add wefts so the streaks should be no issue. My main problem is the actual style itself - how on earth am I supposed to get a wig to stand up like that?! I'm thinking possibly a chicken wire structure and lots of kanekalon to build it up but would that work? How would you attach it to the wig base?

iddylove

Re: Styling a Bride of Frankenstein wig

Post by iddylove » Tue May 10, 2011 3:33 pm

that souds like a good idea. perhaps wire ties looped through the chicken wire and through the mesh of the wig to hold in in place. or sew it with some heavy weaving thread.

hellsbells

Post by hellsbells » Tue May 10, 2011 3:48 pm

I would go for sponge over mesh as it'd be lighter and easier to fix/balance/sculpt. Perhaps spray it black or cover in dark fabric before wrapping in backcombed kk and either stitching or spray gluing; use the side bits which are attached to the wig to conceal any obvious joins and help with the stability of the top section maybe? You could use bun pins to stick through the hair and secure the wrapped sections.

I was asked to make a similar sort of wig for a shoot (before it changed artistic direction) so only got around to the theorising stage, I'm rather interested to see how you get on...

guest123

Post by guest123 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:21 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Tue May 10, 2011 6:01 pm

stinamoo wrote:
If you're going to be SUPER authentic ... the actress had dark auburn brown hair, not black ;)
I know ;) The wig I am planning on using comes in a sort of reddish brown which I am planning on using. It's not totally authentic but more so than black! It always annoys me when she's portrayed with black hair. Even better is it's a lace front so I figure it'll be more secure even with the extra weight.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely be practising making different structures over the next few weeks.

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”