EXTREME wig styling

[Phexxie]

EXTREME wig styling

Post by [Phexxie] » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:26 pm

well... maybe not 'that' extreme, but still pretty funky!

after ooing and ahhing over some couture hair styles on tumblr and the like, ive decided that due to my hair length and style (shoulder length, deathhawk) if i ever want hair like those styles for upcoming photoshoots im planning and styling myself im going to have to wig it

there are several different styles im looking to try, including but not limited to the following:

big, poofy Marquis De Sade styles
Extreme Geisha inspired
Anime looks ie: ondangos with the long floaty bits, extreme gravity defying spikes etc
Massive backcombed buns
Various fringe styles ie: short blunt, V fringe, side swept, J-rock styles, layered colours etc.

i have looked through Katie Bairs site and understand the basics of parting for pigtails, stubbing for accessories, straightening and adding more hair to disguise wefts
however it seems that the majority of her tutorials are unavailable now, and there isnt exactly a wealth of information in the forum!

what would be the best techniques to use? and if using foam cores for odangos etc how would i go about it?
i have been looking through the PO and cog marc selections but they seem to be giving less info with their wigs than they used to, and no longer sell some of the more interesting colours/styles unless i just missed them (PO carry a lot of tarty costumes and the like now... seemed a bit odd!)
i have found other possible sources, but im not sure if they fiber is KK, TK or just plain ol' synth

any tips or directions to another site with more info/tutorials would be wonderful :D

guest123

Re: EXTREME wig styling

Post by guest123 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:20 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:49 pm

oh bugger, i really wanted some odangos too :(
her tutorial isnt available anymore, so i cant even give it a try!

im wondering if i could simply use the wig hair itself to make some kind of smooth, wrapped bun? hmm...

i think mostly im gonna need help with fringe cutting, i can cut a fringe on myself but on a wig? not so sure lol

for example, if i want a long, side swept or angled cut wig, do i use a fringed wig or one without?
having done a tiny bit of wig making at college (and i do mean tiny, i single knotted about 30 hairs onto some mesh) im aware that wig hairs will generally only lie one way
how do i get around that when it comes to fringes?

big, backcombed dos im guessing are the same as if i was attempting it on my own head, st least mostly

and colour matching, if i need to add extra hair (eg: filling out the partings for pigtails)
i know natural colours are pretty much the same throughout, but unusual colours can vary and that worries me a little, but i doubt theres much you can do other than trail and error?

would it be worth picking up some slightly cheaper PO or cog marc wigs to practise on or are they not up to scratch for projects like this?

guest123

Post by guest123 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:14 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:18 pm

ah-ha! found an odango tutorial!

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1896722/

similar method to Katie Bair im guessing? looks simple enough...

thanks for the pointers Stina, ill be getting some PO wigs first i think as i dont want to end up using a ruined one on a shoot, guaranteed the camera will pick up the imperfections, it always does :roll:
once i manage one, ill upgrade to Amphigory
any other brands you would recommend?

im going to rifle through some more cosplay forums, last time i looked i couldnt find anything useful beyond people recommending miss Bair, but this looks promising :D

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”