Synthetic coatings?

FaerieGirl

Synthetic coatings?

Post by FaerieGirl » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:38 am

Hello ladies

I'm in the waiting room for my hair to come, so I've been coming up with hair-related projects that I can occupy myself with until the time comes.

Anywhooo, I really want to make myself some clip-in extensions/a fringe. I've read some fantastic tutorials, so that's not really the issue. The issue is, how do I tell if the hair I'm using doesn't have a synthetic coating? Has anyone used the Sally Beauty Supply brand human hair for this? I'm planning on using the fabric dye method.

Thanks in advance for the wonderful advice! (I swear to GOD rivetlicker, if you answer this one too, I'm flying to Australia and we're getting a civil partnership!)
Taking over the world, one cupcake at a time. http://www.facebook.com/pages/CausticCu ... 7885476928
CURRENTLY TAKING ORDERS

rivetlicker_

Re: Synthetic coatings?

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:53 am

I have NO idea on this one :P We can't get married, sorry!!! :lol:
I don't think human hair comes with synthetic coatings. I use ECW hair by Black N Gold and it dyes fine with regular semi-permanent hair dye.

MMaryweather

Post by MMaryweather » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:08 am

I have used Sally's Beauty Supply brand human hair. It did not take well to manic panic or special fx(I did not try the using the fabric dye method), the hair appeared to be fried after i rinsed out the dye. I also tried straightening it and that does not go over well either... I cannot say for sure there is a synthetic coating(not 100% sure i know what that is), but I did have an AWFUL allergic reaction(i wore it in platinum) to the hair leading me to believe it was coated with something. I hope this helps.

guest123

Post by guest123 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:59 am

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:11 am

It depends on the brand, as Sally's carries quite a few. Definitely read the packaging carefully, as I have made the mistake of buying hair from them I *thought* was human, but it was really a blend. Personally, I prefer to go to more generic beauty supply stores, as they tend to have a wider range of brands and decent prices.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”