A few wig questions

pinky

A few wig questions

Post by pinky » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:15 am

i have just a few questions befor i make myself a wig for christmas! i've looked around and i don't think i've seen them questions befor >.>

1. if i have a wig that has a side part on the bangs do i need to part the dreads on the same part or can i just have the bangs parted on the side and still have the dreads with a center part? (this may seem like a dumb question but i'm trying to think this out befor i buy the wig! )

2. is it best to buy a short wig if i'm adding dreads or get a medium length wig and dread the hair in? (i will be buying a KK wig)

3. would anyone happen to know where i could find either thermochromatic or glow in the dark hair? i've done several searches and haven't found anything but i know it exists!!

thanks so much for your help guys! i can't wait to make this wig!

IKickShins

Re: A few wig questions

Post by IKickShins » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:45 am

1. You can change the part, but it's a real pain. I've done it a couple times before, and it took forever to get the hair to behave and look natural. It's best to use a base wig with the same part that you want the dread wig to have, particularly if it's got a skin top.

2. It's totally a matter of personal preference. Both ways will work. I prefer using longer wigs, but both are doable.

3. I carry some glow in the dark wigs made from cheap synthetic fiber. They're really low quality and as far as I know, they can't be dreaded. You might be able to find something similar at Halloween/party/costume stores as well.

The color change hair you're probably thinking of was made by Zury (it was toyokalon in white that turned to pink, yellow, or purple), but they discontinued it a few years ago. No one else seems to make it :(
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

pinky

Post by pinky » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:22 pm

thanks so much fo the reply! i'm glad i didn't buy my wig first befor asking >.< i saw your glow wig and i was thinking of cutting it up and blending the fibers? or is there a glow paint or dye that will take on synth hair?

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:45 pm

IKS sells a cheap glow wig
http://www.ikickshins.net/wigs.php
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:42 pm

I've never tried to dread the glow wigs so I'm not sure how a solid piece of it would work, but if you stick to streaks and blends with kk it should seal fairly decent. One day I'll have time to do some pre-mades and I'll dissect a glow wig so I can know for sure ;P

As far as paint goes, acrylics should stick to synth hair. They're best suited for accents (like prints on dreads) rather than coloring the entire thing,
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:23 pm

I've been working on dreading a bunch of middle-of-the-road-quality party wigs (not total cheap garbage, but definitely not KK either) that I have had laying around forever and a day, and my method of making sure the non-KK seals is to backcomb it and then use a felting needle to blend the wig fiber with the backcombed KK I'm adding to the wig (I make my dreads directly onto the wig), twist, and seal. I've completed one wig and working on my second and it's, in my opinion, a great method for working with less-than-ideal quality wigs because felting the wig fiber onto the added KK ensures that when you seal the dreads, the wig fiber will get twisted in there too and not stick out all weird. It would probably work with the glow wig as well....only then you wouldn't have dreads that were totally glow-y, the glow would be kind of blended/twisted in with non-glow fiber. Not sure if that's helpful to you or not...

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Oh, and as far as question #2 is concerned, no matter what length wig you get, you're probably going to have to add additional KK onto it to make sure you've got enough coverage on there. There will probably be gaps to fill in once you dread the whole thing. The first wig I did was a medium length and I blended the additional KK in like I said, the wig I've been working on lately on and off between customer orders is pretty short; I've still been blending the KK in at the top where the wig fiber is, but the length of the dreads is all added fiber - kind of like transitionals....both work, but I'm finding the short wig kind of annoying to section out for the dreads, especially because this one I'm attempting an a-line. I think longer hair is just easier to get clean sections. Of course, I think a super-long wig would be pretty problematic as well, so I think a med-length would probably be easiest to work with. Any length can work though, so I'd look for a wig that has fringe/part/color that you like before you worry too much about length.

pinky

Post by pinky » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:20 am

thanks so much for the help! i totally had to change my wig >.< when i get it in then the fun will be matching the color! always something! i'm going to try working KK in with the wig hair and adding dreads to the wig. i'll definatly post progress pics as i get to working :D

zohahunt

Post by zohahunt » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:11 pm

Hey, thanks for the messages . Looking forward to buy some hair clips for my wigs which I bought from the head candy store . They told me everything about the wigs and extensions that now I can teach anyone.

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”