Queen of Blades/Sarah Kerrigan Cosplay Wig Help

skullgrl

Queen of Blades/Sarah Kerrigan Cosplay Wig Help

Post by skullgrl » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:51 am

Ok, so my boyfriend and I just got tickets to Blizzcon (YAY! :i2: ) and I want to try and go as Kerrigan (when she's been infested). For none Blizzard/Starcraft people I need help making a wig that looks something like this: http://www.chrisdata.com/2010/08/22/sar ... izzard-hq/. And an image from the newest StarCraft game for variety: http://starcraft2.ign.com/wiki/Sarah_Kerrigan. Basically she's an exoskeletal-ly bug lady.

The two ideas I'm working with are sculpting with foam, sealing/coloring with paint then attaching to some sort of wig hat/cap thingy OR going about the same thing with roving (including the paint, just for texture and additional coloring). Sculpting anything start to finish would take to long and I can't think of a suitable material that wouldn't chip.

Any other ideas, suggestions? :i2:

(If you have any ideas for how I should make her bug body I'd appreciate the input, I'm thinking about sculpting bits and pieces and mounting them on a body suit or other fabric garment.)

Skullgrl.com
Art, Dolls, Gaming, Life

miasmahair

Re: Queen of Blades/Sarah Kerrigan Cosplay Wig Help

Post by miasmahair » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:49 am

Sweet idea :) When I did my food-themed licorice allsort dreads the colourful ones ended up looking a bit... boney...
And that was just from wrapping the little bits of black around the main dread and then twisting them up and putting them through a hot wash. I reckon you could get close to the Sarah Kerrigan hair by wrapping little bits of a darker brown over brown roving. Hope that helps!

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:19 pm

first of all.....WOW :i6: those pictures are amazing!

If you are hell bent on getting that exact texture and shine, you may be looking for something similar to the predator vinyl and latex dreads. I have no idea how those are made, but do know that there are predator forums out there with some advice and I think a tutorial or too.

I think the most difficult part would be the hairline.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:50 pm

VSB's latest avatar pic has her with horns attached to her forehead - you could always pic her brains to see how she did it- that may help the hair line conundrum.

Awesome choice of character!!!
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

skullgrl

Post by skullgrl » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:42 pm

Miasmahair: Those look great! Its really helpful! :D

Miss Liberty: Exact texture and shine no but close (within reason) is what I want. I hadn't even thought of Alien/Predator in relation to this! Hmmm, this calls for research!

DreadstarMonstar: Well, I do enjoy a good brain picking :lol: - Thanks, Kerrigan is great! One of my favorite video game villians.

The hairline will be difficult but I think I could sculpt some mini bug-dread things and liquid latex them on or have them for the most part attached to the base wig then one or two on my forhead.

Thanks everybody! You've all been amazing help. :D
Skullgrl.com
Art, Dolls, Gaming, Life

iamdolleyes

Post by iamdolleyes » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:01 am

first of all - good luck! that's an ambitious costume

second..there is actually an instructible out there which may help you get some ideas for that hairline problem
http://www.instructables.com/id/Making- ... Headpiece/

honestly I feel this thing has got LOTS of room for improvement, but it should maybe help you figure out how to handle the hairline. and bonus points for the guy using cyberlox.

as for the rest of the costume (and the hair itself) if you have a budget to the sky, then sculpting, moulding, and casting would be the way to go. there are some pretty awesome materials out there now (I lose time looking at smooth-on products) like silicon based foams which move and jiggle (think davy jones' face tentacles) and soooo many kinds of rubbers - latex is really the bottom of the line these days, if you can afford to go bigger and better anyway ...but if you are not so lucky to have a massive budget, I would take a trip through a hardware store and start groping materials to find things you like the texture of, and can work with. A bodysuit base is probably a good place to start though, for ease of making and wearing (and carting it around to blizzcon). I've built some pretty interesting stuff with armature wire, sculpting mesh and expanding insulation foam. just be sure to coat any foam you use with gesso or even white glue before using anything like spraypaint or resin overtop...most of that stuff eats right through most foams, be it insulation (pink/blue) or expanding, or everyday packaging styrofoam
i like my coffee black
just like my metal

Dystopatica

Post by Dystopatica » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:44 am

I think you need to have a look at the work by the magnificent Anachronaut. Sadly a lot of his pictures seem to have vanished and I don't think he's actually taking orders any longer but his work would fit in perfectly with this look. Plus his tabbed hairline extension clips are a great solution to your needs, there is bound to be a way of modifying his design to fit your purposes.

http://www.anachronaut.com/
Monochrome Militia
Dystopatica.com

skullgrl

Post by skullgrl » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:44 pm

Thanks!

Iamdolleyes: I don't have a massive budget but I was thinking about just getting the wig done for this blizzcon but taking the rest of the year to sculpt the body/carapace which would be like plate armor attached to a body suit. The link you provided was/is really helpful not just for the hair piece. Although some of the links to his other work made me giggle. The latex backbone tut he has should prove extremely useful.

Dystopatica: Thanks for the link - checking it out now :D
Skullgrl.com
Art, Dolls, Gaming, Life

iamdolleyes

Post by iamdolleyes » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:19 pm

yea, i feel the only useful part of that guys tute is the hairline blending into alien particle hair, even though he did it really badly (and used a ballcap..lol)

well i would love to see progress as you go along, i love this kind of stuff. please post updates now and again
i like my coffee black
just like my metal

skullgrl

Post by skullgrl » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:36 am

iamdolleyes wrote:yea, i feel the only useful part of that guys tute is the hairline blending into alien particle hair, even though he did it really badly (and used a ballcap..lol)

well i would love to see progress as you go along, i love this kind of stuff. please post updates now and again
Will do! Thanks for the interest! I'm just sick and have a bit of a crunch on some school work.
Skullgrl.com
Art, Dolls, Gaming, Life

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”