how to make hairy scrunchie type pieces?

[Phexxie]

how to make hairy scrunchie type pieces?

Post by [Phexxie] » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:55 pm

apologies for the somewhat odd title!

ive had a look through the forum and cant really find nything specific to the type of hair pieces im looking to make
im making them for a photoshoot, i would rather this than buy them for two reasons..
one because im skint, and two because i need them to match my own hair as closely as possible and i already have HH and KK in the right colours that i can use for this purpose!

they look like these!

type one

type two

i need at least two of the first (if not four) and two of the second, one fairly long as well as a shorter version

has anyone ever made anything like this before? whats the best way to go about it?
i had a piece similar to the second when i was younger but i no longer have it so i cant use that as a guide, but it was basically a hair bobble with synth hair attatched and styled

the other two i have seen, but never owned

my starting point will be a hair bobble, i just need to figure out a way of attatching the hair and styling it appropriately, perhaps liquid gold may come in handy at some point?
would HH or KK work best? any other methods i could consider?

they dont need to be super sturdy since its only for one shoot, but if i could re-use them that would be brilliant!

ideas and comments appreciated as always!

IKickShins

Re: how to make hairy scrunchie type pieces?

Post by IKickShins » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:06 pm

I've made the third kind before by wrapping wefts around an elastic, stitching them together at the ends, then adding kk and loose silky for the longer bits and braids. It's way more expensive than just buying the pre-made ones, though, because it takes quite a bit of weft to get the right amount of volume.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

[Phexxie]

Re: how to make hairy scrunchie type pieces?

Post by [Phexxie] » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:47 pm

hmm... i did wonder about making one with weft... i cant really buy pre-mades as i cant find them in the right colour :(

i might just have a play around with some KK and see what i can do :D

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”