First Synthetic Dreads, opinions please!

lisapie

First Synthetic Dreads, opinions please!

Post by lisapie » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:57 pm

So after many months of reading here and watching tutorials I finally decided to give it a go and bought myself some jumbo brain from I Kick Shins. I got 6 black, 2 snow white, 1 yellow, 1 lime green and 1 hyacinth (orange).
I really want a steamer, but for now I'm working with a cheap hair straightener and a wet towel.
These dreads are all for dreadfalls so I want a broad range of thicknesses, lengths and styles.

I started with some thin dreads. After about 5 dreads my technique was improved enough that I hated all my first dreads, so I went back and re-sealed them all. Then experimented with some candy cane transitionals (I guess that's what you'd call them). The ends are still shockingly bad.

Continued with single colours, trying to improve my technique. Tried some little short ones too. Not very even... but when I attempt them again I think I'll do much better now that my backcombing has gotten more even. The flash on the photos really highlights how many whispy bits I've got. :? Oh and the ends are still horrible!

Now I felt confident enough in my backcombing and sealing I tried some thick transitionals. I think these are by far my best yet. I am quite proud of the ends! Although I'm having trouble with the orange as it doesn't backcomb as well as the yellow. But I'm sure I'll get the hang of it sooner or later.

All up I think I'm starting to get quite a nice collection.

Oh and I have to do something about the loops on the ends... they're hideous! I'm using mini black hair ties at the moment, but I might try with a looped around knot for my next ones. Tomorrow I think I'll try some green and maybe the white, hopefully my white isn't to difficult to seal. Any opinions or critiquing of my dreads is more than welcome!

rivetlicker_

Re: First Synthetic Dreads, opinions please!

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:24 am

This was posted in the wrong section, but it will be moved by a mod when they see it :)

They look great for a first :)

I would suggest to backcomb more into the loop to strengthen the join of the hair. Mini elastics are a cheap way out really, not a huge fan of that! :( I'd also backcomb more into the body of the dread and the ends (use a comb with two different sized teeth, big teeth for the body, little teeth for the ends).
Also, before you start backcombing, seperate all the hair you need to use first so you know how much you will use for each dread. Tie it on itself and put it to the side. It saves time and you will get the same thickness dread every time.

lisapie

Post by lisapie » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:07 am

Thanks for the feedback! Once my fingers have recovered I'll attempt some more. I'm using one of those metal pet combs with really fine teeth, should I be using a comb thats a bit more 'chunky' for backcombing the top sections?

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:26 am

Wow, your transitionals look awesome for a first try - the join looks really smooth. My first ones were a lump-tastic disaster.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:52 am

lisapie wrote:Thanks for the feedback! Once my fingers have recovered I'll attempt some more. I'm using one of those metal pet combs with really fine teeth, should I be using a comb thats a bit more 'chunky' for backcombing the top sections?
I use a hairdresser comb. You'll be able to get them from beauty supply stores. The teeth don't need to be that chunky.
starlotus wrote:Wow, your transitionals look awesome for a first try - the join looks really smooth. My first ones were a lump-tastic disaster.
Mmm, it's the wrappy method that's being used here, hence no lumps :)

lisapie

Post by lisapie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:04 am

I'm back with some seriously improved dreads! All up now I have 42 SE, I'm half way to being able to put together my dread falls! Yay!

Ones I did last week.

[Image

Ones I just finished now.

With the latest ones I have finally managed to get the ends looking half decent. Pliers are now my new best friends!

I'm kind of worried I'm not backcombing enough though, because they look so smooth when I'm finished. Although the candy canes are a little more difficult to backcomb as much as single colours. I'm spending a good 10 minutes back combing each one until it's nice and solid. Is that enough? After a couple of minutes they pass the "erection test" (lol, love it), but I keep going just to make sure.

I'm going to make some more short ones for the tops of my falls next, when my fingers recover (stupid dainty I.T. hands), probably just solid black. Then at some point I have to re-seal my super chunky yellow and orange transitional ones. I think the boiling water method is going to be the only way to go, the hair straightener just can't penetrate far enough with the steam.

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:13 pm

rivetlicker_ wrote:
Mmm, it's the wrappy method that's being used here, hence no lumps :)

Der, lol, I didn't even see that. Still nice for firsts though. More backcombing and practice and they'll be great :)

Asia

Post by Asia » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:55 am

The second set looks great. I especially love the four colored one in that set

lisapie

Post by lisapie » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:56 am

Ok so I thought it was about time for an update. Since I last posted photos I think I've been making good progress. My back combing technique has gotten much better, my dreads are thicker and more consistent and I've invested in a steamer (thank god). After completing my yellow orange white and green dreads I decided I wanted more colour, so I got some red, purple and blue.

At this stage I have no coloured kk left, only 3 packs of black... I'm pretty sure I'll have enough for two sets of falls by the time I'm done. Whoops! But thank god I've managed to get them done for my birthday party, around a week away now, can't wait to mount them (and add in the glowbys I bought to go in them. But anyway, here's some / lots of pics.

All the colours of the rainbow

Black fatties

White transitionals

Blue

Purple

Red

Orange

Yellow

Green

White

Old skinny blacks

justapuppetonastring

Post by justapuppetonastring » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:43 pm

Wow, what an improvement! You should be very proud of them dreads they look amesome. When you first said the colours you ha chosen i wasn't too sure but seeing them all together they actually look really great. I also like the way youve made some candycane, trans, solids etc

xx

Flower In Furs

Post by Flower In Furs » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:03 pm

wow they look much better!! I adore the candycane ones, huge improvement! :i2:
unicorn unity

Return to “Hair Critique”