Advice and Opinions on Color

mrshennejoyner

Advice and Opinions on Color

Post by mrshennejoyner » Fri May 14, 2010 3:11 am

Okay so.....here is the situation....sort of...

I am going to the graduation of my mister's younger brother in a few weeks. I plan to have a new set of dreadlocks installed by then. They are going to be blonde and purple. The colors that I am working with are 22 ashe, 613 platinum, 22/613 mix, some dark purples, and a bright fuschia pink/purple. I'm not sure about the exact shades of all the purples as I ordered several different dark purples from several different sources.

Aaaaaanyway...this will be the first time that the mister has seen his family in about seven years. This will be the first time that I meet anyone other than little brother. In fact, they aren't even aware of my existance... So... My question is about color placement and ratio. Do I need to install mostly blonde with just a few purples, or blonde on top and a little purple under layer, or just not care what they think and do what I want, or what?

I'm including a picture of a couple of the colors I am working with. Yes, I know that the dreads themselves are horrible. I'm really really not asking for a critique on those. This picture is just to give an idea of colors. Thanks for the help. (^_^)

leviclementine

Re: Advice and Opinions on Color

Post by leviclementine » Fri May 14, 2010 3:54 am

Personally I'd go for mostly blonde with a few purples underneath
And they don't look horrible, I think they're pretty, lovely shades :3

necrokitten

Post by necrokitten » Fri May 14, 2010 9:34 am

I'M really liking the mix of blonde with purple underneath. I love purple. ^-^

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Fri May 14, 2010 1:40 pm

Express yourself. Don't worry about what they think. If you do it now, you will be expected to anytime you are around them. It's best they meet the real you anyhow and not someone putting on a show.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Fri May 14, 2010 2:10 pm

I think more subtle might be the way to go... not necessarily because of what they will think of you, but for yourself. If YOU feel a bit nervous about being over the top bright, you may find yourself more comfortable and confident with more blond and just a few colored accents. The more confident and comfortable you are, the better impression you will make because the YOU will shine through :)

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Fri May 14, 2010 7:17 pm

I did similar but with blonde and pink. I put mostly blonde on top, the stripped ones in the middle, and the brighter/darker colore underneath. It gave a cool transitional effect, I love your color choice! The stripped ones are my fav!

Candied_Angel

Post by Candied_Angel » Sat May 15, 2010 1:51 am

That all purple blend/stripe dread is really yummy at the bottom.
Personally I'd put blonde on the top and sides and the stripes on the bottom in staggered layers like everyone else above me has said. Whatever is comfortable with you, because I definitely know what you're going through. I went really conservative when I met my current boyfriend's parents which turned out to have backfired because now they think I'm a really sweet conservative girl who swears every now and again. :i7:
An updo would look nice in those colours too, since it is a graduation after all. ^.^

Good luck meeting the family!

cherrybombdreads

Post by cherrybombdreads » Sat May 15, 2010 8:45 am

Good luck but i'd say fack em all!

Be yourself, be proud of who you are and most of all be proud of your hair! :lol:

Don't ever change yourself to please others lovely, I'm sure they'll love you even if you had bright green dreads in! xx
http://www.cherrybombdreads.webs.com High Quality Roving and Synthetic Dreads!

mrshennejoyner

Post by mrshennejoyner » Tue May 18, 2010 2:55 pm

I think everyone in the thread has been correct. I really shouldn't do anything to try to *impress* anyone. I know that. But this is such an odd situation for me and I am very anxious about it. And I agree about color placement. I didn't realize it, but I photographed the dreads in the exact order I think they need to be installed in. Haha. Blonde in the crown, then a layer of swirlies beneath that, and the purples in the nape. I will probably go ahead and do the entire perimeter in blonde so that my braids don't show as badly if I pull them into an updo though... Thank you so much everyone. (^_^)

Return to “Hair Critique”