First Post, first dreads (Pictures added)

Leanna Moore

First Post, first dreads (Pictures added)

Post by Leanna Moore » Sat May 01, 2010 11:56 pm

SO, these are the first dreads that I've ever made- I thought that the splashed variations I've seen on here were so pretty so thats what I made. I watched some tutorials on youtube, and found that DagGirl's was the most helpfull-THANKYOU.
I'm also not sure if the hair I used was actually KK, it was super hard to backcomb and really didnt seal well. I used a powershot steamer to seal, with the little curtain attatchment- And burnt my fingers to heck in the process xD

Do they look about right? If so, I've still got 4 bags of white, and 2 of turquoise to work with :P

This is what I made with the remaining hair. I tried making some double enders wich turned out messy at the tops, and some naturals that I wrapped with cross-stitch thread.

Last edited by Leanna Moore on Thu May 13, 2010 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

pixychick

Re: First Post, first dreads

Post by pixychick » Sun May 02, 2010 12:27 am

they look good. Yeah you chose the two worst colors to backcomb. Turquoise and white are just silky smooth and a pain in the ass to backcomb and seal. I've always had a problem with those two colors.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun May 02, 2010 12:45 am

They turned out great! Thanks for watching my vids :D

If you ordered silky KK, then yes, it would have been harder to backcomb for a beginner.

Leanna Moore

Post by Leanna Moore » Sun May 02, 2010 12:49 am

pixychick wrote:they look good. Yeah you chose the two worst colors to backcomb. Turquoise and white are just silky smooth and a pain in the ass to backcomb and seal. I've always had a problem with those two colors.

Thank you (:

Thats a shame, because the two colors look so clean and sharp together.

Leanna Moore

Post by Leanna Moore » Sun May 02, 2010 12:55 am

rivetlicker_ wrote:They turned out great! Thanks for watching my vids :D

If you ordered silky KK, then yes, it would have been harder to backcomb for a beginner.

Thanks ^__^ They're all so informative, such a huge help :3

I didnt order the bags, I went into a salon and bought them. The bags didnt really have anything written on them, not 'synthetic', '100% Kanekalon', 'PP' or anything... SO when I asked the woman who worked there if it was kanekalon, she replied with a "Uhhh. Yes? " So I didnt know how to take it; If I said it wrong, and she didnt know what I was talking about or if it was obvously KK and she was just being snarky lol

I think I'll go with ikickshins(?) next time. I'm pretty sure thats where my sister gets all her synthetic hair. It'll probably be cheaper too lol. I paid $6.50 per bag of white, and $8.00 per turquoise bag at the salon

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Sun May 02, 2010 1:18 am

OMG thats a lot of $$ for KK. But I forgot to check where you are from. But yeah they look good especially for your first go at dreads!! They are great colors together thats why I hate that the turquoise and white are such a pain to backcomb.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun May 02, 2010 1:29 am

We pay between $10 and $16 for one bag of KK, that's a natural colour. Most places have Outre (which is KK and is easy to work with).

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Sun May 02, 2010 1:39 am

OMG thats a lot of money why is it so pricey?

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun May 02, 2010 2:35 am

It's Australia... Land of rip offs.

Leanna Moore

Post by Leanna Moore » Mon May 03, 2010 4:34 am

Well, I just got my sister to buy me a bunch of hair- 39 bags- from Ikickshins I'm paying $166 canadian and thats with shipping so that makes out to about 4.25 per bag

I'm excited, can't wait to get the hair ^__^ I talked to my sister, and she said it wasnt kanekalon, she said that the clue to it not being kk is that it was really heavy and waxy and the length was only 26 inches from end to end, so the hair she bought for me should be easier to work with

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Mon May 03, 2010 4:49 am

WOW thats really awesome of your sister!

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Mon May 03, 2010 4:53 am

The hair you used was definitely KK, because the dreads turned out pretty good. I've never seen any other fibre do that sort of thing and actually seal.

Leanna Moore

Post by Leanna Moore » Mon May 03, 2010 7:14 am

pixychick wrote:WOW thats really awesome of your sister!

It is :D Only, she's charging me intrest lol

Leanna Moore

Post by Leanna Moore » Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 am

rivetlicker_ wrote:The hair you used was definitely KK, because the dreads turned out pretty good. I've never seen any other fibre do that sort of thing and actually seal.

Doesnt it usually come in 48 inches though? Maybe they had cut it previously, and treated it with something- it smelt like rubber and was oily/waxy, so much so that it almost felt wet. I did wash it with a bit of shampoo before I backcombed because the oil was coming off on my hands, and that seemed to make it a bit better.

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Mon May 03, 2010 7:45 am

This was an excellent first attempt. Great colours too ;)

I agree with rivetlicker; the results definitely look like kanekalon. You can buy kanekalon in all kinds of guises, not just jumbo braid. It sounds like something that is more intended for loose-end braiding.

the only suggestion I would make, not being sure whether you are using the dreads as falls or as extensions to install, is that you put the splash further down the dreads. If you braid them into your hair, your hair could well cover the lovely coloured part you worked hard at.

Really great first go though, I'm sure you will create amazing stuff with practise. Welcome to the board! :D
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

Leanna Moore

Post by Leanna Moore » Mon May 03, 2010 10:33 am

woolhairhabit wrote:This was an excellent first attempt. Great colours too ;)

I agree with rivetlicker; the results definitely look like kanekalon. You can buy kanekalon in all kinds of guises, not just jumbo braid. It sounds like something that is more intended for loose-end braiding.

the only suggestion I would make, not being sure whether you are using the dreads as falls or as extensions to install, is that you put the splash further down the dreads. If you braid them into your hair, your hair could well cover the lovely coloured part you worked hard at.

Really great first go though, I'm sure you will create amazing stuff with practise. Welcome to the board! :D

Thank you very much :3

I guess I didnt really know WHAT I would be using them for -falls or installs- so I just did it at the top. I did kind of think of that after I made these four so I made a few double enders with splashes on just one side, so if I decide to install them, it'll work fine that way (I think I like making DE's better than single). I've also found that I like adding the color more at the top because I havent mastered the tapering effect at all yet ^__^; practice, practice, practice. And practice I shall

convenientlust

Post by convenientlust » Wed May 05, 2010 3:13 am

I like them. I'm a sucker for turquoise and white : )

Leanna Moore

Post by Leanna Moore » Wed May 05, 2010 3:30 am

convenientlust wrote:I like them. I'm a sucker for turquoise and white : )

Thank you ^w^
I am too, they're my favorite shade/color combo of all time

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed May 05, 2010 1:18 pm

Me too :)

In fact it's the very next thing I'm doing to my uber white hair, adding some turquoise dye and an install.

I agree with what's been said though, the dreads look like they're KK, I doubt anything else would seal as well.
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

foximusprime

Post by foximusprime » Wed May 05, 2010 4:28 pm

ScarletLady wrote:

In fact it's the very next thing I'm doing to my uber white hair, adding some turquoise dye and an install.

I agree with what's been said though, the dreads look like they're KK, I doubt anything else would seal as well.
I put a streak of alpine green in my hair when it was white, look lush :-D

I like the dreads lots, loving the contrasting colours
blah blah blah

Leanna Moore

Post by Leanna Moore » Thu May 06, 2010 7:38 am

ScarletLady wrote:

Yeah, I went back to the store and asked the woman about the fiber, but she said that the hair IS kk but it comes treated, she wouldnt say with what though (It sure smells dead awful), and that they cut it before selling-CHEAP

Leanna Moore

Post by Leanna Moore » Thu May 06, 2010 7:38 am

foximusprime wrote:
ScarletLady wrote:

I put a streak of alpine green in my hair when it was white, look lush :-D

I like the dreads lots, loving the contrasting colours

That sounds lovely o:

Thank you very much (:

Vex88

Post by Vex88 » Sat May 08, 2010 7:57 pm

they look really good :) love the colours together. haven't worked with either of them
Kirsty x
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
---------------------------------------
Facebook
Etsy!
DysfunctionDesigns on Facebook
Artfire!

obliviontrigger

Post by obliviontrigger » Sat May 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Those are awesome. I really like how your loops turned out--did you backcomb them? Whenever I try to backcomb loops, they just turn into a mess and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. :(
ALL THE LADIES IN THE HOUSE PUT YOUR HANDS UP!
ALL THE FELLAS IN THE HOUSE PUT YOUR HANDS UP!
NOW WHOEVER SAID WE'RE WACK PUT YOUR HAND UP!
NOW EVERYONE ELSE, PUT YOUR HANDS DOWN!

Leanna Moore

Post by Leanna Moore » Sun May 09, 2010 6:50 am

obliviontrigger wrote:Those are awesome. I really like how your loops turned out--did you backcomb them? Whenever I try to backcomb loops, they just turn into a mess and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. :(

I didnt backcomb the loops, but I did steam them ALOT, and at all angles.
I'm sorry, I can't help with that D: I'm a complete noob when it comes to hair and stuff, so I dunno.

But, I didnt know the loops needed back combing?

Return to “Hair Critique”