**EDITED***A few Questions About My Install

FaerieGirl

**EDITED***A few Questions About My Install

Post by FaerieGirl » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:21 pm

Hiya ladies!

So, here's my first set and my first install. As you can see by the photos, I only have 8 in. This is because I have some questions:

Should I dye my hair black before I install everything? (I'm asking your opinion, I know there isn't a wrong or right way to do it.)
Should I use smaller sections of hair as I only have 8 in and it's pretty much taken up the side of my head.

Please excuse the phone-photos. I can't find the charger for my real camera. :(

Alright, picture time!!

alrighty, new and improved hair. I had to take the photo on one of my school's laptops during my science class... my camera at home is on the fritz. Sorry, it's kinda washed out. :(

Thanks for all the advice ladies! I can't wait to show you more of what I've made. And I'm really loving the dread thing. I have pretty short hair, and my dreads go well past my chest, so it's a fun change.

And I miss you and your fun makeup, Twiggy! :)
Last edited by FaerieGirl on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Taking over the world, one cupcake at a time. http://www.facebook.com/pages/CausticCu ... 7885476928
CURRENTLY TAKING ORDERS

ScarletLady

Re: A few Questions About My Install

Post by ScarletLady » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:52 pm

Definitely smaller sections...and you can tame those pokey out bits with another elastic further down :)
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

FaerieGirl

Post by FaerieGirl » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:54 pm

how small should I make them?
Taking over the world, one cupcake at a time. http://www.facebook.com/pages/CausticCu ... 7885476928
CURRENTLY TAKING ORDERS

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:57 pm

Erm it depends really...I normally get 50-60 on my head. From the front of my head to my crown (bear in mind I leave my fringe out) I normally do 5 square sections...if hat makes sense, I guess they'd be 1 to 1.5cm squares...something like that. I've never measured them, I just do a brick work pattern starting from the back.

* Queen of Tangents*

FaerieGirl

Post by FaerieGirl » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:20 pm

so, I dyed my hair black and I'm about to wash it out. I was just curious, is it easier to install dreads when your actual hair is wet? That way you don't get tangles.
CURRENTLY TAKING ORDERS

M1ssBehaved

Post by M1ssBehaved » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:44 pm

I've never installed dreads on wet hair before so I don't know if it would be easier, but it is definitely easier to install them when your hair is getting slightly greasy - like a few days after it's been washed.

Glamour Trash

Post by Glamour Trash » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:09 pm

I always install my dreads straight after I have washed my hair, I find it much easier when its wet you just have to make sure all the conditioner is washed out first :)

I find greasy hair slips when installing, this may just be the way I install though.

I think your hair is going to look great now that you have dyed it and if you follow what ScarletLady has said you wont go wrong. :)

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:22 pm

I find that it's easier to get smooth braids with less bits sticking out when my hair is wet, but it's easier to section when it's dry (less tangles) so I install on dry hair but spray each section with water before I braid in the dread.

And yes, extra rubber bands are your friend. I"m super paranoid about having an embarassing "dread falling off my head" moment in public so I use 3 or more on each dread :D

mrshennejoyner

Post by mrshennejoyner » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:53 pm

I think that you made a good call on dying your hair to match the base color of your dreads. They will look much better this way. For good volume, I usually use about 100 single enders in a full head install. I make my sections about the size of the dreadlock itself. You are definitely going to want to use more rubber bands. You won't want those bits sticking out around the dread. I usually install on freshly washed and dried hair and spray each section as I braid. Damp hair is easier to manipulate. (^_^) Good luck and I can't wait to see them finished.

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:00 pm

i install on damp hair as well. its much easier to section and install with.
more rubber bands will help with the pokies
*Manda*

Twiggy

Post by Twiggy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:10 am

ooo your hair is black now!!! i miss you panda...you should post more pix!! i wants to see install :D
<<Giggles, Lollipops && Firearms>>

Cyan1deCandy Dreads

M1ssBehaved

Post by M1ssBehaved » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:06 am

Thats interesting. I'm going to try installing with wet hair now too.

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:41 am

I always install with dry hair...but my hair's bleached to within an inch of it's life so the surface is quite rough anyway - never had an slippage problems. The only thing I find is I have to leave it a few days after washing before I install roving or it goes all static and fluffy from the wool :)

* Queen of Tangents*

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:20 am

ScarletLady wrote:I always install with dry hair...but my hair's bleached to within an inch of it's life so the surface is quite rough anyway
:lol: Same. Although my hair is still quite slippery sometimes. I've never installed on anything but dry hair...am intrigued now. But yes, to the OP, you might have to experiment a bit with the size of your sections etc. I have a grown out bob almost to my collarbones, no undercut and I only use about 35-40 de dreads per install, where as some people may use 50, or more! :shock: :lol:

Brainpill

Post by Brainpill » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:07 am

Its helped my boyfriend to have a spray bottle when doing my installs, so he can wet my hair. I have short hair so its helps with the fly aways, ect. It works well for me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/doctoredloc ... gPp3YrkMoA

Doctoredlocks has good install tutorials and this is the best for showing you sectioning and how much hair for each dread, ect. =]
https://www.facebook.com/LexiphantDreads - Facebook Page
http://predatordreads.tumblr.com/ - Tumblr Page
Dread on loves! <3

Return to “Hair Critique”