HELP ME :( PICS OBESE!! ** UPDATED 25th April :D

AbbieLaZe

HELP ME :( PICS OBESE!! ** UPDATED 25th April :D

Post by AbbieLaZe » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:54 am

Gahhh!!

OK, I have tried AGAIN to do dreads once more.
I ordered hair offline. Sat down with a section of it, with 3 different combs and went to it.
For some strange reason I cannot get the backcombing bit right !! I only used a section of the packet and some how ended up throwing half of that out in a big bundle. damn it. i just cant backcomb. can anyone indulge me in a secret - there has to be something to this that im missing

Finished dread - NOT sealed properly, i just ran it under hot water out of the tap quickly to see how it turned out

ok - so please advice/critic ladies ...
Your help is awesome!!
Last edited by AbbieLaZe on Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
** Manda **

Otherwize known as AbbieLaze

rivetlicker_

Re: HELP ME!! :(

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:17 am

Did you buy that hair off ebay?
I think that's the one that claims to be KK but isn't, especially the one that says jumbo braid on it.
Pop into a hairdresser supply store (I can't remember where you live, but I know you're from Sydney), so either Hairhouse Warehouse or any other wholesaler. Grab a hairdresser's comb (with two different sizes of teeth), like this one. The plastic is much stronger and will last you many hundreds of dreads.
If you're up for it, I can do a one on one tutorial day with you if you're able to travel out to the eastern suburbs during the week.
Last edited by rivetlicker_ on Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:19 am

Were you able to take a pic of the dread before "sealing" it?
what is your set up like? Do you just hold the hair with your foot?
Backcombing takes a lot of patience, have you watched Rivet_lickers youtube video on backcombing? That really helped me. Honestly when I first started I think I probably went through 2 packs of hair trying to get the whole backcoming thing right. Sometimes I still end up with a huge mound of hair and end up tossing a bunch out because I was being impatient and didnt take the time to backcomb properly.

when you backcomb do it slowly. Start from the top and slowly work your way down. Make sure to go back and split the hair apart to get all the lumps and knots out. Thats a huge reason for all that lost hair, the comb will catch on the knots and just pull it out and get all tangled up.
Watch rivet_lickers vids on youtube she is awesome, her name on youtube is daggirl.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DagGirl

I watched all of her videos and tuts before even picking up a comb. I also watched and read ALL of http://www.doctoredlocks.com videos and tuts as well.
The link is taking forever to load for me but just look it up and its awesome.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:26 am

Haha, thanks for the youtube plug, but I don't think that's the issue. There has been a seller on ebay selling "KK" hair, which isn't really KK.
The main thing is to make sure that you hold the hair taught, but don't grip it too tight (then the hair won't comb back and matt up).

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:28 am

rivetlicker_ wrote:Haha, thanks for the youtube plug, but I don't think that's the issue. There has been a seller on ebay selling "KK" hair, which isn't really KK.
The main thing is to make sure that you hold the hair taught, but don't grip it too tight (then the hair won't comb back and matt up).
Hehe I learned to not grip the comb too hardt the hardway.
Eep that sucks I hope she didn't get fake KK.

Jynx

Post by Jynx » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:32 am

I recognize the lady on that package!! Looks to me like they just replaced the original packaging with one that says 100% kanekalon..

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:34 am

Jynx wrote:I recognize the lady on that package!! Looks to me like they just replaced the original packaging with one that says 100% kanekalon..
You know what thats true!! I just noticed that picture, it was on some pp I once got that I thought was KK.

***EDITED***
Also don't forget to give that seller negative feedback on Ebay.
Last edited by pixychick on Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jynx

Post by Jynx » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:35 am

Yuppers! I saw it at the beauty supply shop in st louis. Had to DIG through packages of it to find real kk.

convenientlust

Post by convenientlust » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:43 am

Wow, that's pretty messed up.

As for backcombing, I can't give much more advice than what was stated below like not gripping the hair too tight because it won't knot up (!!). I use heavy duty metal/aluminum combs. One of them has a tail and is super thick and probably unbreakable. The other one is the same style as the one Rivet Licker posted (but aluminum). I feel that I have more stability with them rather than plastic.

I would offer to do the same thing that Rivet Licker suggested with the 'one on one' tutorial, but via webcam. But definitely make sure what you have is actually KK, and if not, try to go to a beauty supply store for some rather than online (unless you go through retailers on here that are verified with their products).

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:46 am

Wow, that's really low... What gave it away was the "super jumbo braid" on the package. Abbie, I suggest you bring it up with the seller and ask for your money back.

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:35 pm

In the future, make sure the cardboard part of the package (with the model on front) says 100% kanekalon as well as the plastic. Avoid ebay for your hair, as everyone is out to rip each other off on there anymore. :? There are lots of sellers on here viewtopic.php?f=34&t=720
If you were using the melted comb, that's where alot of your problem came from. Make sure you're using undamaged, clean combs with teeth that are fairly close together.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

Paradisaea Decora

Post by Paradisaea Decora » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:04 pm

One thing you may find that will help with minimising wastage is if you actually tie the hair to something (obviously in such a way that you can get it off again!). I started out by tying hair to a wire coathanger which I then opened up and slid the hair off of once the dread was done. If the hair is tied to something then it can't end up on the floor so easily :) That way you can backcomb it and keep messing with it without fear of losing a load of it.

Once it's tied down, hold the whole bundle taut and start by backcombing from about 2 or 3 inches from the top. Shorter strokes of the comb will allow for a tighter, neater, more controlled mass. Just play with that principle til you find what works :)
Sacré Coeur Jewellery & Adornments
http://www.sacre-coeur.co.uk

AbbieLaZe

Post by AbbieLaZe » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:38 pm

Thanks for your help ladies.
I am definately going to give it another go and try the suggested tips and pointers you've all given me.

OMG - Lara is that true? I did get the hair off ebay actaully.
I'll post the link to the sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWNX:IT

The seller is Cookie Munro, can ya'll have a look into it?? The hair seals easily, i only ran that dread above under hot water out of the tap , once and let it dry.
but the backcombing is the thing that isnt working. I'll defiantely be asking for a refund if this isnt the right stuff. cause that just isnt right!!

OMG Lara that's an awesome oppourtunity, let me check my schedules, Im in Lalor Park now so im out west as apposed to the North where i was last time i mentioned.

Thanks so much for all of your help ladies, its greatly appreciated.

Manda
** Manda **

AbbieLaZe

Post by AbbieLaZe » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:40 pm

[quote="pixychick"]Were you able to take a pic of the dread before "sealing" it?
what is your set up like?
Hey Pixy, yeah the 3rd form the bottom is the unsealed dread.
The flash was on, so maybe you cant see it properly.
And yes that may have been another issue, the foot holding thing. I was doing that! I will have to attach it to something solid on my next spin.
Also, how long do you all spend back combing a dread?
I did 1 full length small section and i backcombed that for a good half an hour or so, with 3 different types of combs, and this is still alll i could come up with!
** Manda **

AbbieLaZe

Post by AbbieLaZe » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:42 pm

** Hhmmm - i may have been guilty of this too, holding the hair too firm
** Manda **

AbbieLaZe

Post by AbbieLaZe » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:43 pm

pixychick wrote:
Jynx wrote:I recognize the lady on that package!! Looks to me like they just replaced the original packaging with one that says 100% kanekalon..
You know what thats true!! I just noticed that picture, it was on some pp I once got that I thought was KK.

***EDITED***
Also don't forget to give that seller negative feedback on Ebay.

I guess ill also ask her for a refund if this is actaully the case.
Does pp usually take so long to back comb? This stuff feels nearly impossible to do!
** Manda **

AbbieLaZe

Post by AbbieLaZe » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:45 pm

convenientlust wrote:Wow, that's pretty messed up.

As for backcombing, I can't give much more advice than what was stated below like not gripping the hair too tight because it won't knot up (!!). I use heavy duty metal/aluminum combs. One of them has a tail and is super thick and probably unbreakable. The other one is the same style as the one Rivet Licker posted (but aluminum). I feel that I have more stability with them rather than plastic.

I would offer to do the same thing that Rivet Licker suggested with the 'one on one' tutorial, but via webcam. But definitely make sure what you have is actually KK, and if not, try to go to a beauty supply store for some rather than online (unless you go through retailers on here that are verified with their products).

OMG I would love to do a webcam session with you. Thansk so much for the offer! I am hoping that this KK is real and not fake cause im dying to have another go at this! :(
** Manda **

convenientlust

Post by convenientlust » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:54 pm

Well, PP backcombs much diferent than KK. And PP doesn't seal as well, which is odd if you're saying that it did seal.

But yeah, if you do want the webcam backcomb session, just let me know and we'll set it up :D

convenientlust

Post by convenientlust » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:56 pm

But definitely make a claim with Paypal about the item being misrepresented. That's no fair for you at all :[ Or any of the other people that apparently 44 bags of it were sold to.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:23 pm

AbbieLaZe wrote:Thanks for your help ladies.
I am definately going to give it another go and try the suggested tips and pointers you've all given me.

OMG - Lara is that true? I did get the hair off ebay actaully.
I'll post the link to the sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWNX:IT

The seller is Cookie Munro, can ya'll have a look into it?? The hair seals easily, i only ran that dread above under hot water out of the tap , once and let it dry.
but the backcombing is the thing that isnt working. I'll defiantely be asking for a refund if this isnt the right stuff. cause that just isnt right!!

OMG Lara that's an awesome oppourtunity, let me check my schedules, Im in Lalor Park now so im out west as apposed to the North where i was last time i mentioned.

Thanks so much for all of your help ladies, its greatly appreciated.

Manda

I have been warning people about those listings for a while. I reported the listing, ebay will probably ask for more info, I'll just send them a link to my video and some reports on fibres.

You're welcome to come over during the week (except wednesdays). I am not free next week, but the week after I can make some time (I'll be finished my custom orders which gives me an opportunity to clean the place =/). I only have scraps of hair, but I have enough to practise on. Bring that crap along and I'll see what I can do with it.

Hot water out of a tap is no where hot enough to seal KK.

convenientlust

Post by convenientlust » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:09 am

rivetlicker_ wrote:Hot water out of a tap is no where hot enough to seal KK.
That's what I thought as well.

AbbieLaZe

Post by AbbieLaZe » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:49 am

Hey Hey ladies.
Ok, I had another go at this today.
I got some results.
I will post pics up.
I dont know if the hair is right still, but it seems to be working, so we'll have to see.
** Manda **

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:27 pm

If you see "KK" for less than $10 in Australia, you can bet that it's PP or something equally crappy. You best order from somewhere like IKS, it works out to only $6-$7 a bag including shipping anyway.
More human than human

AbbieLaZe

Post by AbbieLaZe » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:36 pm

OK - i tackled this supposed 'KK' hair again, much slower and took my time with backcombing after i watched another load of vidds on Youtube.
Thie is what i came up with.

Half way down the dread

Loops

Tips

Backcombing

The Stand up test

Backcombed

Ok - i know these still need improvement. But they seem to be better then the mess i made with the hair the other day. to me, the hair still looks shiny, so that suggest PP doesnt it?
** Manda **

rivetlicker_

Re: HELP ME :( PICS OBESE!! ** UPDATED

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:39 pm

They are MUCH better, but you'll have to try with real KK, not this mystery stuff if you wanna get results. The one on one tutorial offer still stands :)

Return to “Hair Critique”