HELP ME :( PICS OBESE!! ** UPDATED 25th April :D

convenientlust

Re: HELP ME :( PICS OBESE!! ** UPDATED

Post by convenientlust » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:24 am

I agree with Rivet Licker, they definitely look much better.. but I definitely don't think it's kanekalon. You work will improve so much more if you get your hands on the real stuff. But keep at it : )

AbbieLaZe

Post by AbbieLaZe » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:02 am

Hey Rivets :)
Thanks so much for the offer, I've got a small problem though, I work in North Sydney, and live in Western Sydney and i travel to and from work everyday. LOL - makes it hard. I dont get home to around 5ish depending on traffic so a one on one might be hard to organise. Maybe we could do like a web cam thingy???
What you reckon?
** Manda **

Otherwize known as AbbieLaze

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:19 am

AbbieLaZe wrote:Hey Rivets :)
Thanks so much for the offer, I've got a small problem though, I work in North Sydney, and live in Western Sydney and i travel to and from work everyday. LOL - makes it hard. I dont get home to around 5ish depending on traffic so a one on one might be hard to organise. Maybe we could do like a web cam thingy???
What you reckon?
What about weekends?

FORLOXSAKE

Post by FORLOXSAKE » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:00 am

hi every1,,ive been in this game for over 25yrs,,& if i may i would like to share with u some tips on KK hair,,the easiest way to tell if its KK hair is to burn some,,if the hair goes black & brittle then its KK hair,, i would be very hesitant of accusing somebody of selling u something different esp when it comes to this particular fibre,,there are soo many variations in texture & quality from brand to brand,,even the same colour in the same brand can vary greatly from pack to pack,,just because the hair dosent produce the result u want dosent mean it isnt KK fibre,,if u find that u r unhappy with the way the hair has sealed after dipping it in hot water take a damp NOT DRIPPING WET, hand towel wrap it around the lock,,then take ur flat iron & on a high heat setting iron it over the towel & down the lock,this will seal the hair nicely,,
hope that helps??

FORLOXSAKE

Post by FORLOXSAKE » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:17 am

AbbieLaZe wrote:Gahhh!!

OK, I have tried AGAIN to do dreads once more.
I ordered hair offline. Sat down with a section of it, with 3 different combs and went to it.
For some strange reason I cannot get the backcombing bit right !! I only used a section of the packet and some how ended up throwing half of that out in a big bundle. damn it. i just cant backcomb. can anyone indulge me in a secret - there has to be something to this that im missing

Finished dread - NOT sealed properly, i just ran it under hot water out of the tap quickly to see how it turned out

The wasted hair

combs

this is all i've got im dying to make a monochrome set

ok - so please advice/critic ladies ...
Your help is awesome!!
hi,,i hope im replying in the right place??? its all a bit much for this old girl,,i would put a pot of water on the stove to almost boil,,dunk them in when its good & hot,, if u find they r still not sealed as much as u would like,, take a damp hand towel wrap it round the lock and then use ur flat iron on a high heat setting to smooth down lock inside the towel,,this should seal them better,,also buy a metal cat comb from the pet shop & try to pack them a bit tighter,,twisting as ur backcomb,, KK hair comes in very many different variations & qualities,,some brands work better than others,just because u didnt get the desired result dosent mean the fibre isnt KK,, with experience u will learn which textures work best for u,,hope ive helped??

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:25 am

The stuff purchased is not KK, probably some mystery fibre.

FORLOXSAKE

Post by FORLOXSAKE » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:56 am

convenientlust wrote:I agree with Rivet Licker, they definitely look much better.. but I definitely don't think it's kanekalon. You work will improve so much more if you get your hands on the real stuff. But keep at it : )

Hi,i hope u dont mind me throwing my 2cents worth in,,im an afro hairdresser by trade & have been working with synthetic fibres for over 25 yrs now,, KK fibre comes in many different grades,,& like all things some are higher quality than others,,but the easiest way to check is to burn a little,,if the fibre becomes black & brittle & gives off a smelly smoke u can be almost certain its KK fibre,,the cheaper fibres will melt,,in the states & the UK there is a plethora of easily accessible choices,,in Australia we sadly dont have much in the way of choices when it comes to these products,,,frustrates the life out of me when i can access wot i want/need,,but on the other hand its forced me to be creative & inventive,,ive had to adapt techniques & make the most of wot i can get get my hands on,,

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:58 pm

FORLOXSAKE makes a really good point.

Also, that packaging does not necessarily mean the hair isn't kk. There's a manufacturer that uses that particular label as their default (like if you don't design your own packaging when having a line made). They manufacturer both kk and pp, so it could be either one. I carry several colors from the same place and they've all got the same label. They're relatively low grade, but they are kk.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

FORLOXSAKE

Post by FORLOXSAKE » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:56 pm

ikickshins wrote:FORLOXSAKE makes a really good point.

Also, that packaging does not necessarily mean the hair isn't kk. There's a manufacturer that uses that particular label as their default (like if you don't design your own packaging when having a line made). They manufacturer both kk and pp, so it could be either one. I carry several colors from the same place and they've all got the same label. They're relatively low grade, but they are kk.
I recently purchased some fibre i would of bet money on wasnt KK,,from the look & the texture,,it felt like the real nasty old school jumbo braid thats like fishing line,,but it wasnt,,it was a KK/TK mix,,a total nightmare to work with,,i think i said every cuss word i know & even invented a few new 1s,,i was unhappy with the results i got so i ended up using a wet towel & the clothes iron to seal the lox further,,DA DAH,,i was more than happy with the reults that produced,,THRILLED in fact,,however,,i wont buy that particular brand again,,
the moral to this story is,,where theres a will,,theres a way,, sometimes u just gotta try a little bit harder,, remeber,a bad workman will always blame his tools,,
HAPPY HAIRDRESSING,,xoxxoxox

AbbieLaZe

Post by AbbieLaZe » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:57 am

Thanks so much guys :D

Sorry i didnt get back to you Lara, I forgot abouts this post.
I am waiting on an order from IKS - so ill see how i go with them and let you know.
Thanks so much ur a sweetie :i2:
** Manda **

ilovecookies

Post by ilovecookies » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:05 am

Thought I would throw in some pics from customers using the same hair.. courtesy of Linda, Kristy, Ms Doom + lynn. Awesome work by these talented ladies..

Hair can be sold in Australia for well under $10 if you buy directly from the people who make it and aren't out to rip people off. Not an impossible task at all!
Packaging.. hmm well I am able to design it any which way I please, but asked for their standard.. I actually freaked out when I received close to 2k packs which didn't say "100% Kanekalon" BUT I did clarify the situation and verify the product before throwing around false allegations (lucky it didn't come to that though.. because I was smart and checked with my sources first).

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:23 am

The dreads in the 2nd pic are helixing. A sign of not enough backcombing.
The only ones that look professional are the last set.

FORLOXSAKE

Post by FORLOXSAKE » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:31 am

ilovecookies wrote:Thought I would throw in some pics from customers using the same hair.. courtesy of Linda, Kristy, Ms Doom + lynn. Awesome work by these talented ladies..

Hair can be sold in Australia for well under $10 if you buy directly from the people who make it and aren't out to rip people off. Not an impossible task at all!
Packaging.. hmm well I am able to design it any which way I please, but asked for their standard.. I actually freaked out when I received close to 2k packs which didn't say "100% Kanekalon" BUT I did clarify the situation and verify the product before throwing around false allegations (lucky it didn't come to that though.. because I was smart and checked with my sources first).
my mardi gras madness,,

AbbieLaZe

Post by AbbieLaZe » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:00 am

hmm well i've recevied my I kick Shins hairs now and im giving it a go now.
I did one whole packet of Gunmetal grey last night, just the backcombing part, and its going quite well.
I think the original hair i got was KK but i was definately mixed with somethign of lower quality.
It is much shinier, and was much harder to backcomb. It sealed easier, but still didnt seal down tight, it kinda refuses to lock hard, even after 2 steams and boils in a pot on the stove.
I am going to give the KK i got from IKS a seal tonight and see how that goes. I'll be able to let you know what i think then comparing the two.
Oncve again I'm not an expert , but I'm not an idiot either, and I think It'll be fairly easy to tell the differenhce between the 2 during the different processes.
Cheers, Manda
** Manda **

AbbieLaZe

Post by AbbieLaZe » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:05 am

hmm - i love cookies - Are you Cookie Munro from Ebay?
The lady who sold me the hair in the first place?
And is FORLOXSAKE the same person or a different user?
You should introuduce urselves - there's not a large amount of Aussie Sydney girls on here - the more the merrier. There's a section for introductions :)
** Manda **

AbbieLaZe

Re: HELP ME :( PICS OBESE!! ** UPDATED 25th April :D

Post by AbbieLaZe » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:45 am

OK guys, i have had a go with the new hair ordered from I Kick Shins.
Please see below.
I think i have almost got he handled of the back comb.
Oh and i believe that the other hair CookieMunro sold me on ebay was KK.
I defiantly believe that it is mixed with something that makes it hard to work with.
The full strength KK im using is much easier to brush, and seal.
It's less shiny and much nicer sits well.
Ok pics ahoy

PS this is the Gunmetal Gray :i9:
** Manda **

FORLOXSAKE

Post by FORLOXSAKE » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:17 pm

AbbieLaZe wrote:OK guys, i have had a go with the new hair ordered from I Kick Shins.
Please see below.
I defiantly believe that it is mixed with something that makes it hard to work with.
Ok pics ahoy

woot woot,,they look FABULOUS,,well done,, after u been at it a little while it will be sooo much easier,,u will think back to now & giggle,wondering how come it wasnt always so easy.. i sadly havent much call for cyberlox these days,,i make silky dreads,,which i spose is an afro hair version?? i sometimes use a damp towel & the iron to seal em nice n tight,,esp if im dealing with hair thats not ideal
AbbieLaZe wrote:OK guys, i have had a go with the new hair ordered from I Kick Shins.
Please see below.
Ok pics ahoy

Please see below.
Ok pics ahoy

convenientlust

Post by convenientlust » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:32 am

I think you still need a bit more backcombing and a little more twisting of the ends. But they're definitely looking good!

Return to “Hair Critique”