Welcome to Heavenly Hair Forum Index Welcome to Heavenly Hair
You will need to register before you are able to post

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polymer clay = danger?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Welcome to Heavenly Hair Forum Index -> Everything Else & New Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockngene
Corporal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Polymer clay = danger? Reply with quote

To all of you that have played around with polymer clay...

Maybe it's nothing, maybe I'm just worrying but.... I read one day that using polymer clay to do jewellery like plugs, tapers, tunnels, all the things you can put in your ear to stretch it, was kind of dangerous because the polymer clay contains a toxic substance that can go into your organism and cause some invisible damages, like infertility(is that a word?). The article was really about the ear stretching items, not the other jewellery like necklaces or rings.

Does anybody heard something like this somewhere?
'Cause I was about to make some jewellery but now that I've read this, I'm scared and I don't want to try.

Known as aperfectimperfection on VampireFreaks.
Phoenix
Colonel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EHH I'm royally bummed then.

I wore a fimo plug for a while (didn't find out it was fimo until about 3 months later). I've never heard of polymer clay causing infertility...
~*~*~MistressH~*~*~
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry but ive never heard that before. you are more likely to get ill from chemical hair dyes or traffic pollution in cities IMO

edit: taken from http://www.acminet.org/ACMI_Addl_Response_Polymer.htm

In October 2000 concerns were raised about the use of phthalates in toys, at which time ACMI polymer clay manufacturers voluntarily had their products re-evaluated to address these concerns. ACMI’s consulting toxicological team at Duke University Medical Center (DUKE) evaluated these polymer clays for acute and chronic hazards by all potential routes of exposure and found none. A DUKE study revealed that you would need to overheat and destroy the clay product in the oven-heating process to release hydrogen gas, and <0.1% of the phthalate esters would be released with no breakdown of the polyvinyl chloride. Woodhall Stopford, M.D., principal toxicologist of the ACMI Certification Program, stated that “Phthalate esters found in these polymer clays offer little or no acute toxicity concerns and are not a chronic hazard concern even assuming a large (24 mg) daily ingestion of these clays.” Dr. Stopford’s risk assessment, as well as an executive summary, are available on the DUKE website at http://duketox.mc.duke.edu. Simply click on “Recent Toxicological Issues” on the home page and then scroll down to “Phthalates in Polymer Clays” to access the risk assessment and executive summary. Additional research conducted by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) also found that phthalates in infant/children’s toys pose little or no risk to humans.

Last edited by ~*~*~MistressH~*~*~ on Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Griffyn
The Dogs D'Amour

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think its another scare tactic
Ice_Pick_Abortions
Retardo Girl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is actually quite well known and googling it brings up a few articles. it's why i personally won't wear fimo in my ears

IAM Ice_Pick_Abortions
Rockngene
Corporal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I'm confused.
I'm torn between the different opinions.
And this is why I'm asking advices here lol

Ice_Pick_Abortions
Retardo Girl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally wouldn't take the risk and i don't wear cheap jewellery anyway as it usually proves more trouble than it's worth in the long run

IAM Ice_Pick_Abortions
starlight
Sergeant Major

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like basically, they don't know.. but there may be a risk.. like mobile phone thingys, I guess.. some people say they're bad for you, others don't.. I've not read anything about this, but from the different opinions it sounds like they don't know for sure.

I've worn a fimo plug for a little while.. made it myself since I had nothing else, haha.. I dunno.
SoupyGeorge
*soda*pop*fairy*

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that before, but I think it's a myth or something. And if not, modge podge all the way!

http://www.torsopants.com/store/link.php?id=U291cHlHZW9yZ2U=

http://fairy.bigcartel.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rockngene
Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree a bit more with starlight...
Seems like nobody really knows.... The scientists suppose that maybe they don't know but there is a possiblity even if it is not sure....
I just don't want to hurt my insides.
But Fimo plugs can be sooooo beautiful lol
It would be perfect if it was only a myth!

SoupyGeorge
*soda*pop*fairy*

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let our ears fall off! We'll be galmourous while we have em! Wink

http://www.torsopants.com/store/link.php?id=U291cHlHZW9yZ2U=

http://fairy.bigcartel.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iamdolleyes
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it isn't recommended to wear anything but typical piercing jewelry metals in a fresh/new piercing - and i believe a freshly or newly stretched piercing is included in that

i wouldn't wear fimo plugs in a fresh stretch, but if they were long healed i probably wouldn't see much wrong with wearing a unique pair once in a while

polymer clay is pretty safe - it gives off some fumes while baking, but they are not major enough to even need a separate oven from your cooking oven so it's not that risky compared to other substances i've worked with Laughing
i wouldn't eat it, and i probably wouldn't use it for long term wear just because it isn't exactly a 'skin safe' product like silicone rubber or titanium are, but if it's very well treated (moulded, sanded etc) it's probably not that bad

infertility? i would think that if it were to cause that the people who are baking a lot of it at home are going to be affected before someone wearing a set of plugs is. breathing fumes is a pretty direct way of ingestion.

the msds sheets are all available online, just look them up
~*~*~MistressH~*~*~
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that microwaves and mobile phones would be far more harmful than polymer clay. i imagine that if you over cooked and destroyed the structure of it then maybe chemicals could be released but how much clay do you use per plug? not a lot
there are far far worse things out there imo. also your piercing hole isnt exactly an open wound is it?
Ice_Pick_Abortions
Retardo Girl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~*~*~MistressH~*~*~ wrote:

there are far far worse things out there imo. also your piercing hole isnt exactly an open wound is it?

it is until healed and even then you're likely to have microscopic tears

IAM Ice_Pick_Abortions
Kodachi148
Private

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me personally, I think polymer clay is fine (but then again I could be saying this just so not to offset my OCD) but if it really irks you then I would suggest you coat it in something clear. Maybe that could do something.
Ice_Pick_Abortions
Retardo Girl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodachi148 wrote:
Me personally, I think polymer clay is fine (but then again I could be saying this just so not to offset my OCD) but if it really irks you then I would suggest you coat it in something clear. Maybe that could do something.

that would just be adding more chemicals..

IAM Ice_Pick_Abortions
Lettuce
Private

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked with polymer clay for years (professionally and because my mother never bought me a Sega) and providing you bake it correctly you'll never have a problem with it. I've never heard about infertility risks, only not burning it, but that's logic isn't it?
I wouldn't use it to make jewellery for tongue or lip piercings, or anything else that goes in your mouth. But I've made plugs with the stuff from about 2mm to 6mm (stretched with surgical steel though) and they don't give me any hassle, and I usually have very sensitive skin.
It all boils down to your gut feeling, if you're worried about any associated healthrisks, then don't wear them, but if you're not then go crazy! I personally don't have an issue with Fimo whatsoever, it's less harmful than most of the stuff in the studios I work in Laughing
And if you wana varnish it (Although I like it better just polished to a high shine) then I guess you could use clear nail varnish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Welcome to Heavenly Hair Forum Index -> Everything Else & New Ideas All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: